new Newell nut here

Started by landlubber, March 05, 2012, 03:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landlubber

Hello guys , hope I can get some help here or even help someone else.  been working on a bunch of my Newells over the winter and have learned a bunch. alignment, alignment, alignment.  :)

Bryan Young

Welcome Landlubber.  Newell's are great reels.  I hope the parts will become available shortly...or did you buy them all fixing all of those Newells?  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: landlubber on March 05, 2012, 03:08:17 AM
Hello guys , hope I can get some help here or even help someone else.  been working on a bunch of my Newells over the winter and have learned a bunch. alignment, alignment, alignment.  :)

Unless you get one of the metal aftermarket frame kits, alignment will be an ongoing problem because the side plates are not very hard.  Consequently, with various twisting moment, the screws will dig into the side plates and cause the reel to loose alignment.  This is one of the reason Newells are not considered to be as rugged as Penns.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

landlubber

well what I came up with was aluminum P-bases + bars ( that match) in width within .002" are the ticket . there were a few years in my opinion that the QC was not as good and ya know I read this somewhere and I believe this  is so true. the Graphite bases and bars are pretty bad in my opinion and most of my reels are Gs and old Ps.  I am fortunate to have bought some bars and bases years ago from a good friend Kobo in CA , then couple years ago before Norma ( newell)left Newell purchased some from her, and this winter found some 454 bars also out in Cal.  drove to Galveston this winter to drop off the wife for a cruise with here crazy girl friends then on the way out stopped to see an old friend that was once the Newell Doctor and bought 2 alum bases and 8 or 9 Graphite bases of which 2 were cracked, found them in better light when I got home .  so just matching up parts with perfect alignment results. and yes I have bought and installed  2 Tiberons latly 220 +235 but ya know there not a 100 % newell now to darn heavy but i will give them a shot this summer.anyone  need a base or bars ?, I need a set of inner frame rings for my 641 ( that are not blems).   Jerry

Norcal Pescador

Welcome aboard! As you can see, I'm a Penn guy, but I do like my S220-5 for bottom fishing.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Panama

Get on the water, Man!!!

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TravHale

Irish Jigger

Hi Landlubber,welcome aboard from another Penn enthusiast.

franky

Hello Landlubber,

been working on a bunch of my Newells over the winter and have learned a bunch. alignment, alignment, alignment.  :)

Yeah, I hear ya!  Alignment, alignment, alignment....and shim, shim, shim.... >:(

Sometimes a newell may be allright prior to opening it....then you take it apart to grease and service it, and bam! Everything goes back the correct way and for some reason, something is scraping as the spool rotates and its impossible to figure out what the heck is causing it.  You take everything apart and reassemble everything and that scraping just never goes away.  Now the fun begins....

Anyway....welcome aboard!  :)  

alantani

alignment, alignment, alignment.  :)

boy, is that every true!  welcome!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Quote from: franky on March 06, 2012, 01:46:03 AM
Hello Landlubber,

been working on a bunch of my Newells over the winter and have learned a bunch. alignment, alignment, alignment.  :)

Yeah, I hear ya!  Alignment, alignment, alignment....and shim, shim, shim.... >:(

Sometimes a newell may be allright prior to opening it....then you take it apart to grease and service it, and bam! Everything goes back the correct way and for some reason, something is scraping as the spool rotates and its impossible to figure out what the heck is causing it.  You take everything apart and reassemble everything and that scraping just never goes away.  Now the fun begins....

Anyway....welcome aboard!  :)  

Don't you just love it when that happens?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.