TLD 10 Handle resistance

Started by JimS, September 10, 2023, 09:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimS

I have a TLD10 I picked up off EBay and noticed that when I turn the handle with a little bit of drag and holding the spool so it won't turn, I feel resistance at certain spots as I turn it.  When I continue turning it it goes easier, then harder, etc.  If I back off the drag it doesn't do it and if i crank up the drag it doesn't.  it seems to freespool fine.  I took it apart a little bit, put some grease on the drag washer and a little oil on the spool bearings that were visible when i had the spool out. 

Any suggestions on what is causing this?

Thanks

akfish

Odds are the pinion bearing in the right side plate is bad.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

I think Bill is correct —-

Typically, it is the right side pinion bearing.

When I worked on a lot of these —- that was generally the culprit when the reel was not smooth at certain points.

If I was certain that it was only the pinion bearing —- and if I could not be sure of the finished product —- all (4) bearings would get replaced before it left the bench.  Cheap insurance.

Bad drag could also be an issue.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

these reels usually get a new carbontex drag washer and new bearings.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

I would start with gently scrubbing the drag washer (assuming it's carbon fiber) with a tooth brush and greasing it with Cal's Drag Grease.  If that doesn't cure the problem then the pinion bearing would be next.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JimS

Thanks for the replies, I knew you guys would know.