Penn Accurate Jigmaster H/S

Started by Gxnefishing, March 05, 2012, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gxnefishing

I have many, many Accurate conversion penn reels and its time for service. I usually do all of my own service as well as some of the guys in the fishing clubs reels. I have a Accurate 500 which was ground a bit on the inside to get the highspeed gears to fit. I have used this reel for 3 years no problems whatsoever. This year I am at whits end with it. I put it together and its really tight to reel! Almost can't reel it at all. I have newell 5:1 gears, stainless gear sleeve, and a new set of smoothies. My stack is this.. Gear sleve, trimmed ht100 from Dawn, the gear, Smoothie, steel washer, smoothie, slotted washer, smoothie, steel washer, then another thin washer kinda concaved like a tensioner? , then the tensioner wssher then brass gear sleeve. Ive put it together minus the thin washer, minus the tensioner vise versa. Its tight all ways.
I noticed if I leave the 4 screws loose that screw to the bridge plate the reel is fine. But and tension on these 4 screws it just doesn't want to reel. Its Driving me Nuts!

Bryan Young

Newell had two sets of 5:1 gear ratios.  One was for Penn 500s and the other for 505HS.  It's possible that your gear is hitting the sideplate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Gxnefishing on March 05, 2012, 08:53:41 PM
Gear sleve, trimmed ht100 from Dawn, the gear, Smoothie, steel washer, smoothie, slotted washer, smoothie, steel washer, then another thin washer kinda concaved like a tensioner? , then the tensioner wssher then brass gear sleeve. Ive put it together minus the thin washer, minus the tensioner vise versa. Its tight all ways.

"Steel washer" being the eared washer?  If it is you should put the slotted washer on top of the first fiber washer then fiber washer followed by sloted washer.  The ears binding on the bottom of the slots could be your problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gxnefishing

The gears rubbed on the side of the plate originally, It took a little bit of filing to clear space for the gear. There is no noticeable rubbing, no noise and no issues for the last few years as ive used this reel daily.  the tightness of the bridge screws reminds me of an old school exercise bike with a belt tensioner the tighter I make the bridge screws the tighter the reel gets. The drag stack is in the right order I guess i just mislabeled the ear washer and slotted washer. either way I dont see where the drag stack could effect the reel. the order schouldnt change the thickness of it. The reel is tight with NO drag applied it doesn't seem to matter weather the drag is cranked down or not. the reel reels tight.

alantani

and the gear sleeves turns freely all by itself?  put the entire drive train together, minus the side plate - starting from the bridge and ending with the handle, and see if it's tight without the side plate. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gxnefishing

I assembled everything stated in in order and there doesnt't seem to be an issue..... I don't seee any rubbing or shavings or whatsoever! this is driving me nuts, But I know someone has more ideas :)

Keta

Could the anti reverse dog be getting on the wrong side of the under washer?  I don't see this happening on a Jigmaster but I've seen it on 113Hs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Caranx

If the four bridge screws are tight and the sleeve won't turn, your stack is definately too thick.
Your ht100 fiber washer may be too thick, or you may have to eliminate one of the top tension washers.
The new smoothies might be too thick also.

Gxnefishing

i took apart another setup today and tried to swap gutts.. the one with issues is a 505 bridge with a 58 tooth gear.. i tried to fit a 500 bridge with a 48 tooth gear. the 500 plate didn't even line up right with the nipples on the plate. i noticed the 2 plates were infact very different. i snapped some pictures but can't upload them from my phone.so ill do it when i get home from work. the 505 plate appeared to be thicker by a few hairs and also setup different. where the gear fits is also a lot deeper. the gear stack in question has carbonex ones i believe they're like carbon fiber.i realized they're not smoothies after seeing a set of smoothies for my 9/0 and they're smooth. ill include a picture of the whole stack when i get home to see if I'm messing up somewhere.

Caranx

I don't think the 505 and the 500 parts are interchangeable.

Gxnefishing

they aren't  ;) but its kinda hard for me to tell the diffrence when accurate doesn't label any of their plates. i just had another with me sothats what i disassembled at the time