Scored a couple of nice 350's

Started by Flat Top, September 13, 2023, 07:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

This is the one reel that has always intrigued me and was on my bucket list for many years. The Leveline was never that popular at its inception, but other makers (Daiwa, Ardent, U.S.Reel, etc) used the same concept, so there must be something to that. I have studied up on this reel and there are pro's and con's. There are a few that still use this reel to this day and have nothing but good things to say about it...others not so much! I would like to hear from those that have used it and get their thoughts and opinions on this reel. I intend to tear both of them down and replace the drag washers with Carbontex and replace any parts that are worn  (though both reels seem to be solid and in good working condition), and to a degree "restore" them. Then I will take the not so nice one of the two (which is still in excellent shape) and get it out and fish it...see how it casts, but most importantly just to see how the Leveline performs (if I can keep my left thumb out of the way). Any input from the gurus here would be appreciated.
Overkill....is way underrated.

JasonGotaProblem

There's a long discussion about this reel on another thread about the strongest levelwind designs. One thing that came up was that penn stated in the reel's manual that for the levelwind to work the best you want a rod with the first guide at least 28" away from front of reel.

The issue with these is the main gear doesn't have room for a very robust drag assembly. And the main gear drives the levelwind So you can't swap it with another gear. So the robust levelwind design is kinda wasted here.

This gives me an idea. Im gonna investigate before i tip my hand, in case it's a really dumb idea.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Flat Top

All good points JasonGotaProblem.

As far as the robust drag (or lack of it) I am going to try to add a fourth drag washer between the outboard metal drag washer and the tension washer and see if that can be done. It has been done on other Penn reels and that does improve the drag function a bit.

As far as the 28" (I have heard 32") thing for the Leveline to work properly.....The only rod that I have that has that distance from the reel to the first guide is a 15 ft surf rod and its a spinner. I have a 12" surf rod that is about 24" to the first guide so that will probably have to do. We shall see how that works because I am not going to have a custom rod built for the purpose.

When you decide to share your idea let me know! I am always open to ideas whether they are dumb or not. I once had a dumb idea (or so I thought) that garnered me awards and a lot of cash...so "any" idea might be a good one.

Shellbelly

It is an interesting design.  Another copy was made by Olympic (Dozuki?) that was close to 4/0, had a line counter.  Good that you have two so you have a model for assembly.  There are a few more parts in these.

It IS the reel with a brain, though.  You'll be a brain surgeon.

Set that 3-piece spool aside.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Flat Top

"set the three piece spool aside", may I ask why?

ExcessiveAngler

I've also, been eyeing these up, always very intrigued, about them as surf reels as well!
But, if you can get one to cast well and have the LW feature work out, you'll have me sold on finding one, to try out lol!
Did you happen to get them off of FBMP?
I saw a pair of them for sale there!

Flat Top

ExcessiveAngler;

What is FBMP?

I will report back in once I get them worked over and out for a test session.

Surfrat

;D If you want to use the Penn 350 for surf fishing or casting, you will need either the plastic/bakelite spool from such as the penn 155 or penn 25 with braid underneath the monofilament or use an aluminum spool #29L-200 spool from a Penn 200 or a more modern Penn 155. I wish the Penn 350 could be narrowed to use a Penn Surfmaster 100 spool.  :P

Flat Top

No surfcasting here Surfrat...bank fishing... and a 75 yard cast is about the most I would ever need. I can do that on a good day with my Delmar 285's with a metal spool, and exceed 100 yards with my 140/146 Squidders with the metal spools. I have plastic and aluminum spools for the Squidders, but I dont use them. For most of my fishing a 50 yard cast does me well and the metal spools are fine.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Flat Top on September 13, 2023, 08:48:05 PM"set the three piece spool aside", may I ask why?
From a fishing standpoint, they can be weak under pressure if monofilament is used.  You may hear that a braid backing or other line combinations will prevent this.  Just my opinion...best to use a more modern spool like the other one you have there or others that were suggested.  That way you can use any line you want without any concern.

From a collector standpoint, I prefer the look of a 3-piece spool on a shelfie.  The 350 has been around since the early 50's.  If I'm not mistaken, the first ones came with a plastic spool.  The next would have been 3-piece, then "1" piece.  So the 3-piece will be harder to find at some point and yours looks to be in good shape.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Flat Top on September 13, 2023, 09:12:06 PMExcessiveAngler;

What is FBMP?

I will report back in once I get them worked over and out for a test session.

Oh sorry, about the code talk lol!
So, on some forums, you have to watch what you say lol!
The book of two faces, marketplace!

Facebook marketplace lol!

EA

foakes

Quote from: Surfrat on September 13, 2023, 09:19:46 PM;D If you want to use the Penn 350 for surf fishing or casting, you will need either the plastic/bakelite spool from such as the penn 155 or penn 25 with braid underneath the monofilament or use an aluminum spool #29L-200 spool from a Penn 200 or a more modern Penn 155. I wish the Penn 350 could be narrowed to use a Penn Surfmaster 100 spool.  :P

Many Penns are able to be narrowed.

Provided there is a spool with the right diameter and ends that will work.  Then all that is needed are the right sized posts and
stand.

However, with the LW mechanism design —- and no shorter one ever available —- it would take a lot of machining, skill, and fitting to make that work.

Anything can be done by applying the right amount of $$$, time, and skills —- but it would be a tough effort —- for little or no gain, IMO.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Flat Top

Shellbelly; All I use is braid with a small amount of light mono backing to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

ExcessiveAngler; I did not get them there.

foakes: I like the old Penns just the way they are...saves me a lot of money in the long run. I read somewhere that "you can catch a fish with just about any reel you choose....if you want to look good while you are doing it, then you must have a CUSTOM reel". I gave up on looking good years ago.

Flat Top

Tore the lesser 350 down today for a good cleaning, etc, and there was not a stitch of lubricant to be found. Its like somebody cleaned it thoroughly and forgot to lube it and put it back together dry. Saved me some work. Checked everything out and all is good, lubed and reassembled and will spool it up in the morning.

I have a question regarding the leveline left side plate adjustment nut. Is the leveline bar supposed to be loose or is it supposed to have just a hair of free play (like I would set up a spool bearing adjustment nut)? Does the adjustment have anything to do with the way the line lays on the spool when it is retrieved?

farmer56

Just remember Jason there are no bad ideas . Hope you have luck !! Some of my "ideas" see other people some see the dumpster. I believe you can help the 350 !!