Shakespeare Whisker Titan

Started by SummertimeBlues, September 13, 2023, 09:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SummertimeBlues

I found a Shakespeare Whisker Titan on eBay, one of my favorites from yesteryear. it's an ultralight, very light with a ceramic spool. Basically a Sigma model with a graphite body and ceramic spool. I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully tricked one out so that there's no back play of the handle when it's in anti-reverse mode. Is there a bearing mod that can be done?

foakes

Hi AJ —-

Those are excellent microlight reels.

There is not enough room to install an Infinite Anti-Reverse (ARB) bearing in this reel.

I have a few of these.

On the bright side —- while a smooth & clunkless ARB may be preferable to some folks —- nothing beats the solidness and dependability of a metal dog A/R interacting with a sold metal ratchet.

Once one understands the concept (there are 5 stops, essentially every 72°) and pictures how the A/R works — the small amount of back play in the crank is just normal, and very strong as well as efficient.  It will not slip on you unless it is gummed up —- and the fish will still be there.

Plus, these are tiny powerhouses of reels —- and we aren't fishing for sharks or grouper with them.

My opinion would be to use it as is.  Great reels!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

how many teeth on that A/R ratchet?  ...looks like only 4 or 5
Shimano 500-size uses same A/R design w/ an 8-tooth ratchet (RD-0884)
still back-play, but less annoying & cheap part, if it fits
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352236678676?epid=10011661398&hash=item5202f12e14:g:KfwAAOSwRbtaOWal&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8K5cJ3dAhqVTaGqJmqBao1VS6SISmPQl8YzyTbObKuAREHRIRtZXjrq7sLvLAw3xfPUO2QFIjHtBhoP1WiX3HXJeAp0ljUlcuKgJBfDqE0%2BMYgTxMrJTNsJUb5JhfaL2S1BEoLOPIFmOT1lyvhouf1Nd0IO%2FH8TAZlBDwh3W9D%2FX4ifMNc4WweYfWDJvG0P%2BQ8bhD04dvfHcACDgnFrLJxt7xaWzFhuQTJBGWqtmmC6sQpuKXG%2BjfofjSrs7TW8Zg8pPxgvmgV5crs8%2BjBxPYQuSh0zL2zLAibCo2Xi5B2Wr22soMs4QKbXII58NaCQ58g%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-77vZbSYg

Fred, maybe you could check whether pinion key-hole, diameter & thickness match up
(or, close enough to be easily modified/hand-fitted)

foakes

I have already buttoned it back up, and put it in the Sigma stuff, Roman —-

There are (5) teeth on the ratchet/pinion.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SummertimeBlues

Thanks for the response. Yes I love these little reels! I can't tell you how many 3-5 pound smallmouths I've caught with it. That's why I was excited to find one to replace my long lost Whisker Titan on fleabag. I believe they came out just before it seemed everything began coming out with infinite anti-reverse. My first model to retire my old Whisker Titan was a Pinnacle Deadbolt.