Star Drag purchase. 30lb test.

Started by Steelynorm, September 15, 2023, 09:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelynorm

I am looking for a star drag reel to fish 30lb test.
$300 or less budget new or used.
gonna use it for everything out of San Diego or Baja, it is going to be mounted on a 6480L.

my preferences in order
1 durable and long lasting(parts and support)
2 performance
3 smoothness.

CooldadE

I'm a Penn guy so if it was me it would be a Penn Jigmaster. Out of the box it will handle 30# line. Though I would get a SS gear sleeve, power handle and grease the drags... Still well under $300...

My 2 cents

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Swami805

I'd look at a Penn fathom 25n star drag
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

I didn't think of the Fathom. I've got 3 of the 2 speed Fathoms and love them.
I'm old so the first thing I thought of was an old reel. I'm not sure but the Jiggy might be easier to work on/ maintain if you're into that kind of stuff. I'm sure the Fathom 25N would be a fine reel out the box... and possibly more cost effective.

Another 2 cents

Cool

Steelynorm

I have a 99 jigmaster.
this is the reel i am replacing on that rod.
not sure if i am going to sell it on ebay or not.
Just wanted something more modern smaller etc.

thorhammer

Bill B

The Jigmaster series and Fathom are solid choices.  You can't go wrong with either.  Another choice would be the Senator 112H.  Basically a Jigmaster inside but about the same size as your 99.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

I'd go with the Fathom 25n star drag too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sciaenops

Another option would be a used 1st generation (silver) Daiwa Saltist 30T (or TH) if shinyness not an issue. Meet all your criteria except parts but they are tanks and simple to work on. Tougher to find but one can be had for 1/2 the price of a comparable new reel.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/classifieds/saltist-3ot-super-torque.31378/

CooldadE

alantani

Shimano tld star 15/30. Durable,  reliable performance, definitely not as smooth,  will require some upgrades. One of my favorites!!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=shimano+tld+star&_trksid=p4432023.m4084.l1313
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

farmer56

farmer56 here , i have many fathom reels .  8 , 12 , 15 . some level wind some not , i use 50 - 65 lb, JB  line one from Keta . Great casting , drag smooooth , and strong , i started using about 10 years ago . target fish 30 lb. Canadian Northern Pike . so i never saw salt water with them . Bottom LINE am i happy with them yes, any problems yet NO , would i recomend to friends or "ENEMIES" yes dennis

jzman

The first gen fathom stars had a problem if you had to much weight pulling on the spool that the clutch wouldn't disengage.  What you had to do is to pull the spool back with your thumb then move the clutch lever.  I believe the current generation (II) doesn't have this problem.

johndtuttle

Penn Warfare 20N is legit if on a budget. Stainless steel internals for ~$100.

Penn Squall is every bit the reel a Shimano TLD is, imo, no offense Alan  >:D .

Fathom 25N is solid.

Its a great tragedy that the Torque 25N is no more. They waited too long to make them in silver. Fantastic reek and a lifetime purchase.

Best in Class star drag in a 3/0 size, imo.

Keta

TRQ25N STAR DRAG, the lever drag ones are still made.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain