PE ratings to lbs

Started by Swami805, September 16, 2023, 02:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I just got a new reel and it says it holds 500 meters of PE2. What's the general conversion of PE to lbs. I know PE is based on diameter probably not super accurate. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

As an approximation use kilogram as the PE rating. PE 2 would be 40#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

That's what I was looking for, thank tou
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

Every site seems to convert it differently. I usually take the PE rating x 10 and call it good as an approximation.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

In my younger years, every PE number was approximately 12-15#. I'm sure it changed today with the development of different fishing lines and strength with respect to diameter. So now, who knows but 10# per number is a good starting point.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

boon

Once upon a time PE times 10 was a good approximation.

It would be a fairly "dated" braid where that still held true.

Honestly there's so much variance in braid these days (even between two different "models" from the same brand) that the only real answer is to go digging for the spec.

Daiwa Saltiga EX12 in PE2 is 36lb, Shimano Ocea 8 PE2 is 45lb as a couple of examples that throw things out the window.

SevenYearsDown

Order the PE line at digitaka, they post the lb equivalent of it. I use the mono to PE conversion chart for diameters and base it there.