Main Menu

Eddie bomb

Started by Bill B, September 17, 2023, 12:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So with the popularity of the Eddie Bomb for bluefin jigging, a lot of attention is given to through wire eyelets for strength.  Has anyone ever seen a regular eyelet pull out or has anyone tested the force necessary to pull one out?  Or are we just playing the "what if" game.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crab Pot

I rig my jigs/bombs with figure 8's so there is no need to worry about the weights eyelet because the strain is on the hooks connected to the figure 8.

I have seen jig eyelets go from round to oval when direct connected, but never seen or heard of one fail.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

pjstevko

I haven't seen on completely pull through but I have seen one pull almost all the way through....

Keta

The way that one is rigged it does not matter.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Well PJ had the answer.  "Almost pulled out"  I will be rigging them to avoid the eyelet.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Reviving an old thread since I just got 10 through wired sinkers to make a couple Eddie Bombs for my trip in 2 months. I'll be putting a big treble on the bottom and the bite leader will have an assist hook or two on it as well.

I'm thinking of powder painting one black just as an experiment....

pjstevko

Update....

I powder painted a couple to try out on my trip next week. As far as rigging goes, the captain does not like trebles on the bottom so I'll remove it.

With the spring weather causing fast drifts I don't think I'll have a problem with this scoping out before hitting the desired depth!