Avet SDS repair

Started by Earl, March 05, 2012, 11:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Hi guy's. I have an SDS with a pre-set knob that is next to impossible to turn any further than about 5# of strike drag. Talked to Avet to-day and they're sending me a cam housing and screws. Are there any particular problems I should be aware of when installing the new parts? This reel is new and I've never taken a 50 apart, altho I've had all my other 2spds completly stipped down and back together without problems. I was told by Avet just to make sure I don't over-tighten the screws, as this is what's causing the problem now. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Earl

Keta

If this is a new reel I'd send it back to Avet and let them fix it.  BTW, if this reel does not work with the screws tight something is not right.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Earl

Sending the reel back to Avet will cost me between $80 and $100 for shipping, as I live in eastern Canada, and the screws have to be snug, not torqued down.

Keta

Ouch!!!  I have a bunch of reels and Penn reels to repair and some anti reverse dogs to finish but when they are done I'll try to take one of my SDSs apart to refresh my memory and get back to you.

My daughter is NW of Kelowna, BC, where in Canada are you?   If you are close to the border you could drive across and mail the reel for about $10.00 US.  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Earl

I live in central Ontario, and have several Avets all of which I bought fromCharkbait, and all of which I paid $40/45 each for shipping from Cal. to me (one way), so self repair and servicing is my best route.

Keta

Too far to drive to the border.   A long time ago I fished western Ontario, NE of
Fort Frances, and loved the area.  My daughter was thinking about moving to northern Saskatchewan but I convinced her that living in the semi bush was not a good place to raise my granddaughter, my daughter grew up living on an island in SE Alaska.

Mark Twain

Squirmypug

If the reel is new and it doesn't work Avet should pay shipping to make things right.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

just give it a try.  grease everything ahead of time.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2012, 05:05:04 PM
just give it a try.

That's funny.  I purchased the second SDS that Charkbait got when they first came out and took it on my first LR trip.  The reel got a workout on large YFT (I got 3 cows that trip and a lot of 150-160 lb fish) and I wanted to take it apart to service it.  I called Avet and Harri said "Just give it a try".  I did and now I am not afraid to tear into any reel......well not spinners.

Mark Twain

Earl

Ya, I'm not overly concerned about pulling it apart, since as I said earlier, I've had all my other reels stripped right down without any issues. I just wondered if there were any particular problems to be aware of, that perhaps weren't readilly apparent on the schematic.
Will let you know if parts Avet are sending fix the problem.
Thanks to all.

Earl

Hey gent's. Got the new parts from Avet (#36/37) in the mail to-day, and in less than an hour, problem solved. The pre-set is now as smooth as butter, right up to as much drag as I can measure,which is more than I'll probably ever use.
Just a couple of observations I made while working on it. First off, everything was well greased and second, every screw I pulled was, in my opinion waaaay over tightened. The two small screws holding part #36 actually put a bow in the allen key. Side plate, crank arm cover screws, all were much tighter than need be. I've had all my other reels apart and none were cranked down like this one. I'm realy surprised none were stripped, but Avet was right, the two small screws (#37) were to tight and and warped the cam housing. Thankfully it was an easy fix.