Penn Torque 25N Star Drag Bearing Upgrade?

Started by wussero, September 19, 2023, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wussero

I was wondering if this bearing is worth upgrading on the reel?  Will this help my casting and free spool?

Part 55D near 26R
"Free spool adjustment knob" on far right side of the reel.
55D 1214666 055A525MAG2 Ball Bearing
6x10x2.5
MR106

Thanks.

boon

Man that schematic is a shocker, you would think the spool went outside the right side inner plate on the basis of it which is clearly not correct.

On the basis of that diagram, 55D Near 26R appears to support the outside end of the pinion gear, not the spool shaft. Accordingly it is not going to make any difference to your freespool or casting, as the pinion gear is stationary when the reel is in freespool.

wussero

Isn't 55B what supports the pinion?  Anyways, if it is to support the end of the spool shaft, will that help?

boon

I'm reasonably certain that in this reel the pinion is supported on both ends, by both 55D and 55B. The outside end of the pinion gear is turned down to fit inside this bearing; also the ID looks too large for the spool shaft.

MarkT

By looking at the schematic it appears that only the 2 55L's that the spool rides on affect free spool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

wussero

Hmm.  Not sure I agree it won't help?

Yes those two bearings ride on the spool

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6494.0

However, on the Daiwa Sealine SL20Sh, my friends and I have done the same modifications, which really helped with casting.

In the picture, you can see this.

JasonGotaProblem

The pinion on most star drags should be disengaged from the spool in freespool. So in theory nothing you do to the pinion should affect freespool. Buttttt... Does the spool have a fixed shaft? If so then a better bearing on the pinion might make for better freespool if there's an issue with the spool shaft rubbing on the pinion.

A way to test if there would be a difference would be to see if freespool improves when the drag is loosened all the way.

Pinion rub is the reason why an old abu 5000c will get better freespool with the drag at zero.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

wussero

The spool shaft is not fixed.  It's separate part from the spool.

JasonGotaProblem

Then its unlikely that the bearing you wanna change will effect freespool at all. That part wouldn't be spinning in freespool.

wussero

I have changed all the other bearings around the spool shaft already, except the pinion bearing near the pinion gear.  This will be the last one related to the spool. 

Might as well I guess.

Thanks for good insight and info!

JasonGotaProblem

Dont let me stop you. If nothing else you'll feel better.

Are your spool bearings greased by chance? That affects freespool.

The other one is the spool could be rubbing on the frame.

How many seconds of freespool are you getting? Is it problematic or do you just wanna tune it?

wussero

Just tuning it.  Excellent free spool as it is.  Wondering if I should remove all bearing shields on the spool bearings?  Over 25 seconds.
 Although the back of the spool will trap the debris.

boon

Quote from: wussero on September 21, 2023, 04:53:20 PMHmm.  Not sure I agree it won't help?

Yes those two bearings ride on the spool

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6494.0

However, on the Daiwa Sealine SL20Sh, my friends and I have done the same modifications, which really helped with casting.

In the picture, you can see this.

The SLoSh is a completely different design. It doesn't have the outside end of the pinion gear supported.

Take the reel apart and look at how it goes back together. If the pinion gear goes inside bearing 55D then inherently it cannot affect freespool because the pinion gear is stationary when the reel is in freespool.

By all means go ahead and do the upgrade though.

MarkT

Pack those non-spool bearings with grease to protect them. Open the spool,bearings and give a light lube like TSI-321 so they'll spin like a top.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

wussero

Thanks for the responses.  So I should grease all bearings outside of 55L then?  What about the left side plate end bearing?  Same deal?