Chasing sailfish in Malaysia!

Started by redsetta, September 19, 2023, 11:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Hi lads,
Hope you're all keeping well and getting out on the water.
I'm just back from a bit of an adventure at the edge of the world.
Despite a lifetime chasing waves all around the globe, my brothers and I hadn't gone away together for more than 20 years.
As none of us are getting any younger (me in my mid-50s and my brothers heading towards their mid-60s), we decided to seize the day and head for the far west of Indonesia.
The Telo Islands is an archipelago between the Mentawai Islands to the south and Nias to the north, about 200 miles across the Indian Ocean from Padang in West Sumatra.
It's extremely isolated and only accessible by boat or chartered light plane.
Below left is the view from the Cessna Caravan we chartered to get to a landing strip on an island about an hour-and-a-half boat ride from our destination.
The tiny island, about a 30min walk around, is pictured right.
Latitude zero literally passes directly through here.

It was really nice to be off-grid and away from any form of technology (primarily phones!) for a week.
The locals still use dugout canoe and paddle as their primary means of transport, and the jungle is genuinely steaming and impenetrable.
While it was all but flat the week we were there, we still managed to get in the water and - most importantly - spent a great week together.
(Fortunately, my brothers are still in Asu (nearer to Nias) and are currently scoring triple-overhead+ waves!)

Among the highlights were being visited by the biggest sea snake we'd ever come across (a Banded Sea Krait that was nearly 5ft!) and having a massive saltwater crocodile pop up in the lineup while we were surfing.

At the end of our time in the Telos, I headed to Malaysia to chase sailfish for a couple of days in the South China Sea.
While the sailfish only turned up in large numbers in the late-1990s (as a result of an El Nino weather cycle), it's now among the world's best fisheries - with high season being Aug-Oct.
The fishing was sensational.

My final count over the two days was 15 sailfish between 80-100lb landed, one black marlin bill-wrapped, fought and dropped, and one sailfish dropped due to a triple strike and some ensuing chaos leading to a livie ending up in the props.

My guide, Jonas, posted a couple of reports but, as I'm not FB, I haven't seen them.
Day two post here - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3529507430702847&id=100009308759977
Apparently there's a day one post as well.

Righto, hope that was of some interest!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Crab Pot

ARE YOU NUTS????

Sea Snake, the most poisonous snake on the planet.

Saltwater Croc, a highly aggressive apex predator with NO FEAR...

AND YOU GOT IN THE WATER WITH BOTH!!!

You have bigger stones than me Justin.

I've been to that part of the world in Uncle Sams Navy.

Marlin is on my bucket list.

I tried for Marlin at Deago Garcia in the Indian Ocean but could not keep the Yellowtails off.

Nice report!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

redsetta

Thanks Steve - stoked to hear you've been to that part of the world!
Diego Garcia is pretty much a straight shot west.
I have visions of sailing across there in my retirement.
PS Re: the wildlife, I was more concerned about cerebral malaria and amoebic dysentery than these visitors  ;)  :D 

Swami805

A dream trip even better going with your brothers. I'd love to be in a place where there's kraits, you know you're in the wild
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crab Pot

Quote from: redsetta on September 20, 2023, 12:15:43 AMI was more concerned about cerebral malaria and amoebic dysentery than these visitors

:o

At least you might see the snake or croc coming!

I remember at Deago Gracia we were warned not to fall asleep, alone anyway, on the beach because we might have got an unwanted piercing by a coconut crab. (those things are huge by the way. Trash can lid huge for those that don't know)

And then there was the legend of Hector the Hammerhead Shark....all 16' of him patrolling the lagoon.

If you ever make it there let me know if Hector is still a thing!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Hardy Boy

Wow great trip. You gotta love sailfish !

Todd
Todd

foakes

Fantastic report, Justin,

Thanks for taking us along.

I could almost feel the salt spray.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 20, 2023, 02:38:30 AMHector the Hammerhead Shark....all 16' of him
Change your name temporarily to Achilles and call old Hector out!  Great reunion trip!!  Thanks for sharing.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

Wow Justin! Fantastic pictures! A serious adventure. Seems far-off places to recreate always have some "beware of" critters.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gobi King

Justin,
Trip of  a lifetime!

That is off the coast of Indonesia, Sumatra(??)

Been to Malaysia many time, never fished salt water, looks like they have top notch fishery there!

Thanks for sharing
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Donnyboat

Hi Justin, thanks for the report, talking of sea snakes, I have dived just South of Exmouth on the Western Australian coast, i came across a few sea snakes, they are very inquisitive, but dont have very long teeth, if you have a dive suit on, they are battling to penetrate any deeper, but the salt water croc would be a different story, I think I would be walking on top of the water, if I came across one, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

wow Justin a pretty exotic place and great fishery, 15 sailfishes caught, wonderful.

so, you're a pro surfer for living?
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Haha, not even in my wildest dreams Alex!
My brothers and I have surfed since childhood, but only for pleasure.
(We've had a farm in Southern Baja since the '80s, so have spent many happy years chasing waves in your neck of the woods too.)
This trip was really my first attempt at surfing again since breaking my back in 2017. Fortunately, it all went pretty well!

Oh, by the way Don - I've always been of that view too, re: sea snakes' very limited capacity to penetrate the skin with their small mouths and teeth.
This one, however, would've had no such trouble!
But, as you say, they're so inquisitive and unthreatened by anything, I imagine it'd take a concerted effort to wind one up!

Cheers lads, Justin

steelfish

Quote from: redsetta on September 25, 2023, 08:02:06 PM(We've had a farm in Southern Baja since the '80s, so have spent many happy years chasing waves in your neck of the woods too.)..Justin

how cool is that !! nice
The Baja Guy

alantani

saltwater crocs and sea snakes.  guess i'll cross that activity off the list!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!