Pro Gear 541 upgrade

Started by Jtijerina125, September 21, 2023, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jtijerina125

Looking to upgrade my 541. I have hade this reel for about years. It's my favorite reel to fish but I'm looking to do some upgrades. I bought the 7 & 1 drag stack for it on a whim. It has the original 3 stack. After ordering and reading some post here I realized that I needed to upgrade the gears to stainless gears. But I was wondering if I could hunt down a stainless bridge sleeve and if possible a stainless bridge. I have seen the 113h stainless double dog bridge plate. Could I use that and somehow remove the double dogs? I don't know if what I'm asking is possible or not but I figured I throw it out there and see.

MarkT

What's wrong with the factory gears? Why remove the double dogs from the ss bridge? The 541 has 113h guts... a fully Accuplated Magnum Jigmaster!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

No need to upgrade the gears unless you just want to. The double dog ss bridge is a great upgrade, along with the ss sleeve. Keep the dogs or don't bother upgrading the bridge. I have done all these upgrades to 54X Pro Gear reels.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Jtijerina125

I didn't know if the dogs would work on the 541. I thought you still had to use the old dog and tiny spring. Is the bridge plate just a drop I upgrade or do I need to do something else?

There is nothing wrong with the brass gears but upgrading to the 7 stack gives you more drag. And from reading on here there is a potential of stripping the gears. I would rather just upgrade everything I can on it. I know the main gear and pinion gear is available but I can find the bridge sleeve.

Swami805

The guts in a 541 are the same as 133H except the yoke is different. If it fits a 113H it fit your reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jtijerina125

Thanks guys for the info. I have ordered all the parts plus the yoke. I didn't realize how much all this would be but it's going to be worth it.

A few questions though. Is the bridge a drop in replacement? Sin e it has double dogs do I need to do anything?

Does the star drag fit right on or do I need to order a new one?

Either way I'm excited. I want to replace the spool too. I have a gold parts pro gear the spool. The spool doesn't have the clicker. Is it possible to swap the spool shafts?

Again thank you for all the help everyone.

Swami805

The bridge should drop right in
You'll probably need a new star, the aftermarket sleeves are usually fine thread, Penn sleeves are coarse
Be patient, sometimes everything pops right in,sometimes it takes a little tweaking to get it right.

day0ne

Replacing the spool shaft is very iffy, especially without the proper tools.  I wouldn't even think about trying it.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Jtijerina125

Ok so I installed everything and something ain't right. Main gear and sleeve fit fine. The drag stack is off for some reason. I installed it as followed. Small washer, main gear, thick washer, keyed washer,thick washer, eared washer, thin washer, keyed washer, thin washer, eared washer, thin washer keyed washer, thin washer, eared washer, thin washer, keyed washer, dome washer, spacer, spring washer cupped up.

On the original setup the when I backed the drag off there was still some pressure. Now it completely goes free. And if I tighten all the way down, the star touches the side plate.

I did notice the washers were a tight fit and needed a bit of Dremel work. Even with that though it's still not tall enough. I don't know where I messed up. I guess my next step is to put a caliper to it and measure everything.

Swami805

Maybe a taller spacer under the star or a small washer

steelfish

Quote from: Jtijerina125 on October 03, 2023, 02:56:31 AMOn the original setup the when I backed the drag off there was still some pressure. Now it completely goes free. And if I tighten all the way down, the star touches the side plate.

I have the PG440 which is basically the same reel but YTS size (narrow) and happened exactly the same, I got it used and it has deep scratches from the star on the sideplate, seems the previous owner didnt cared that much if the star was touching the sideplate when he tightened the drag, I tried to install a taller spacer but it was too long so, I fixed mine with a 3mm spacer (washer) that fit on the shaft and let me tighten the star without touching the sideplate.
I dont know the part number for that 3mm spacer I found it on my miscellaneous parts bin  :-\
but I recall I bought some of those spacers because someone here recommended that part to fine adjust the star and the rest of the washers before the drag stack on a penn 113h
The Baja Guy