Okuma Andros binding (and possible bearing problem?)

Started by paal, March 06, 2012, 11:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

Thought I'd update this thread, in case someone finds it and think there is a fundamental flaw with the Andros. So I replaced the two Ezo bearings (right side plate & left spool). The 'roughness' disappeared, so it was a bearing problem.

Just for the fun of it, pulled the shields on the old bearings, and there was no sign of corrosion. I think someone has been too eager with the preset button at some point, and hurt the bearings. I don't know if I could have just kept using the old bearings, or if there's a chance of the balls actually starting to break down and risking a complete failure at some point?

Paal

hafnor

Good update Pål! I ran the same question on my pe4 reel a few months ago. What I was told by Alan is that in the long run the bearings need to be replaced. once it starts to grind just a tiny bit it will only get worse, however I do not think that a relatively new bearing of especially of Ezo quality will crack under normal pressure. I used my pe4 with a pretty grindy right side plate bearing and did not have any problems with it, except that the handle jerks once you get up to high drag number (18-22lb)

paal

That's interesting, I thought the JM's were "binding free" due to the twin drag. But I probably got it wrong anyway. I think I will have to borrow one of you JM's for a weekend to check how it actually works ;)

hafnor

I guess no reel is bulletproof! the twin drag helps loading off the sideload by spreading the pressure... but still. the pe4 is a tiny reel and with that comes tiny bearings. However I have gotten a hold of a pe3 and I have some serious plans modding it up heavy. Bigger cf washers to fully accomodate the spool size (15-20% bigger than original) and I am sourcing out an angular contact bearing from a supplier in japan. Only thing is the cost. Don't know if it's worth 100$+ for one bearing... I am also thinking of removing the old IAR and main gearshaft bearings replacing it with one big IAR, that way I can remove the dog ratchet keeping the reel noiseless and even lighter. I also got a good idea replacing the aluminum spool sleeve with a carbon fibre sleeve. Only thing is that I have to destroy an old fishing rod...

Hey pål, you have to try it out. I think you will be very pleased with it! Call me if you are headed out some time. If not I am sure we will meet out in the open blue far north with a double hookup 150kg halibut hanging on the other end! (hmmm... I may be dreaming now)

btw. I saw that the andros comes in a narrow version, the andros 5II, should be a nice reel for coal fish/polock and cod jigging... maybe even halibut. :)

paal

Yea, we need to hook up for some halibut action one day! :) Too bad those angular bearings are so expensive, did you check ebay? At some point, I'm sure a Chinese supplier will be offering at a low price. Quality might be so-so, but at least it will be possible to prove the concept (or not :-)
Nice job on the custom work too, I saw the C/F washer you made for the SOM. Very nice! :) Keep us posted on the other stuff you do!
Narrow Andros 5II, I didn't think they'd make any smaller reels than the original. I agree, should be perfect for coalfish and the kind of halibut I usually hook up with ;)