Bent handl knob

Started by Christopher M Songer, September 26, 2023, 08:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Try and straighten and how or replace?
Always go forward, never go straight

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

I have straightened out plenty of those —-

Lock the handle into a wood-faced vise with the bent screw/knob accessible.

Using schedule 40 PVC, or any pipe larger than the bent knob —- just ease it back square.

Works 9 times out of 10.  Quick, easy, done.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

OOH OOh let me try.....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Donnyboat

dont worry it will still operate with one handle, dont let Joe near it ha ha, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

might add a little heat during the process.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Is the handle supposed to have that much arc or is it screwed up, too?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

OhReely

I hope I can explain what I'm thinking. Make a shim with a thin SS fender washer with a center hole the size of the bearing or drill it to that diameter. Cut an opening the width of the bearing from the edge to the center hole so you can slip it between the knob and handle, around the bearing. It should be only as thick as the bearing. Put several layers of tape on the end of the handle to protect the finish from contact with the vise. Slide the washer into a vise horizontally, with the slot you cut pointing upwards, until the handle is against the vise. Get everything situated so you will have a straight push toward the vise. Clamp the vise down on the washer, hold the handle to brace it and push against the knob. If you need more travel put a spacer between the vise and handle as long as you can still grip the washer with the vise. What I want to do is put pressure on the same point where the bend is. There's energy stored there waiting to be released by pushing in the opposite direction from the original contact. It doesn't look like heat is a viable option without damaging the knob or handle finish. Clamping the handle and tweaking the knob might work but you could be number 10.

steelfish

If its not broken it can be repaired

I vote to straighten that thing up
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

:)   My attempt would be 1 by wood and some shim pieces.   Easier to put pictures .
     First squeeze with out shims  .  That will straighten most of the handle arm and the knobs will roll out with the bend . Second squeeze is with shims to get the ends flatter .
  Were my fingers are in the pictures is were I would squeeze .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare