How to tell? Made in ?

Started by csx355, September 28, 2023, 06:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx355

Hi all, I'm sure that this might have been covered before but I can't find anything through searching. Over the last few years I have 'fallen' into the possession of a few older Penn reels. 930, 940, Senator 6/0 black and red, 3/0 black, Leveline 209 and a Levelmatic plus a few older and current SpinFishers.  This has been more by accident than design and mainly for use rather than show.   

I now seem to have a little collection of inexpensive, basic, usable reels that I would like to add to. I'm sure that the modern reels are excellent but I'm a bit old school and enjoy using the older "Analogue Models".

My question is - How do I distinguish between the US manufactured models and the later Asian ones? Is there a way of id'ing through age, serial numbers, boxes or obvious visual differences. I quite fancy a US Squidder or Jigmaster and gather that they could be US or Chinese made. I see that some later models have the one piece cage cross supports rather than the bars, is this just the Asian built reels?

Apologies for the rambling post. Regards Steve

Bryan Young

For Penn reels, Mystic Reel Parts have a very good history of models that are both made in the USA and elsewhere. I would start there for Penn.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

I don't get much of a call on these parts —- but here are a couple of drawers of Penn 910-940 parts, if anyone needs some.

Mystic should have many of these —- but some parts are discontinued —- and are right here.

Even when I worked on a lot of Conventionals —- seems like the only parts on this "9" series that generally needed replacement were idler gears, drags, and sometimes cosmetics.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

So for my sloppy generalization of the day, having poked around in my 930 a bit, it seems like penn was trying to offer an answer to the ambassadeur.

With regards to the original question. If it's made in the USA it'll say so on the reel. (Either made in USA or made in Philly, which I'm pretty sure counts  8) ) Either stamped or molded somewhere. I know jigmasters made in china say so on the side. For penn SS reels, if it has letters other than the SS (SSm, SSg, SSV, SSVI etc), it was made in China. The early ones didn't mention china anywhere, but they also didn't say USA anywhere.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

csx355

Quote from: foakes on September 28, 2023, 02:16:26 PMI don't get much of a call on these parts —- but here are a couple of drawers of Penn 910-940 parts, if anyone needs some.

Mystic should have many of these —- but some parts are discontinued —- and are right here.

Even when I worked on a lot of Conventionals —- seems like the only parts that generally needed replacement were idler gears, drags, and sometimes cosmetics.

Best, Fred
Hi Fred - I would be really interested in some of those parts I'll pm you. Regards Steve

csx355

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 28, 2023, 03:12:19 PMSo for my sloppy generalization of the day, having poked around in my 930 a bit, it seems like penn was trying to offer an answer to the ambassadeur.

With regards to the original question. If it's made in the USA it'll say so on the reel. (Either made in USA or made in Philly, which I'm pretty sure counts  8) ) Either stamped or molded somewhere. I know jigmasters made in china say so on the side. For penn SS reels, if it has letters other than the SS (SSm, SSg, SSV, SSVI etc), it was made in China. The early ones didn't mention china anywhere, but they also didn't say USA anywhere.
Thanks for that Jason. Ref the little Levelmatics -  I used to use my 940 for beach casting along side my Ambassadeur 6500c's - They were functional but not quite as smooth. Very pretty though. I now have the remnants of a 920, 930 and 940 all needing side plates, hopefully Fred can help.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on September 28, 2023, 02:16:26 PMI don't get much of a call on these parts —- but here are a couple of drawers of Penn 910-940 parts, if anyone needs some.

Even when I worked on a lot of Conventionals —- seems like the only parts on this "9" series that generally needed replacement were idler gears, drags, and sometimes cosmetics.

Best, Fred
Hi Fred,

I have a bunch of 900 series reels that I have to get back into shape. God willing, I'll get to them sometime soon and will likely need your help with some parts.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonGotaProblem

Fred do you have a 930 spool? If so i seemingly have the rest of the parts to build another reel.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

I only have 2 or 3 of these gold spools.

I would need to know the measurements since there is no part numbers on these.

Glad to help, if possible and not complicated or time-consuming.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Surfrat

All Squidders and Jigmasters with the burgundy plates(500) or red plates(500s) and the black plates(500,501,505hs,506hs) with Made in USA marking on the bottom of the non handle side are produced in USA. But I have seen some Squidders and Jigmasters with gomexus parts and other upgrades that are not original. I sensed you know only Jigmasters with black plates are made overseas.