drum from a jetty in Texas

Started by ksong, September 29, 2023, 01:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I arrived at Texas and went to a jetty this morning.  I had 2 nice black drum out of 4 this morning.  It was pretty hot and I decided to rest in my car for a while. I went back to the jetty this afternoon, but unfortunately bites were off.
I used light 9' JS rod and IRT 500 DD filled with 60 lb braid and 80 lb leader.
I will be back tomorrow.

Shellbelly

Quote from: ksong on September 29, 2023, 01:38:41 AMI arrived at Texas and went to a jetty this morning.
A good test for your gear!  Where are you in TX?  The water looks good!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Reeltyme

Caught a couple of black drum across the "bay" here in Florida. Had an absolute blast! They put up a fantastic pull! I'm sure you enjoyed the day.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Reeltyme on September 29, 2023, 09:26:09 PMHad an absolute blast!
These fish can grow to over 30#.  Like red fish, the large ones aren't very good to eat, IMO.  Black drum are more prone to parasites.  I reluctantly keep one in the 18-24" range per year but have been disappointed by the bulk of worms in their meat.  I should just stop trying.  My grandfather called them "wormy devils".  I remember from the pre-limit days, pan-sized black drum are very good to eat.

Still wondering where ksong is fishing.  Thinking he's somewhere south of me. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 03, 2023, 04:43:13 PM
Quote from: Reeltyme on September 29, 2023, 09:26:09 PMHad an absolute blast!
These fish can grow to over 30#.  Like red fish, the large ones aren't very good to eat, IMO.  Black drum are more prone to parasites.  I reluctantly keep one in the 18-24" range per year but have been disappointed by the bulk of worms in their meat.  I should just stop trying.  My grandfather called them "wormy devils".  I remember from the pre-limit days, pan-sized black drum are very good to eat.

Still wondering where ksong is fishing.  Thinking he's somewhere south of me.

I was curious what he was catching them with, maybe fresh shrimp?

Looks like he's doing well with the JS company now, and what he loves to do!

How are you liking those JS rods so far
kilsong?

What are the specs on the 9'Lt you're using?

Here in NJ, fish well over 100 pounds, have been taken off the beach, mostly on clam!
Most of them averaging between, 10-60 pds.
I've only caught one on a lure, in my years of fishing, on a leadhead/paddle tail combo!
Took that 40ish pd fish, on a 7 foot $28 ugly stick, while fishing for stripers!
This giant boomers, run through NJ in the spring, on their annual spawning, migration run!
Good hard fighting fish right there!
Nice fish Kilsong!

Shellbelly

They are opportunistic grazers in my experience.  I've caught them on hard bait like crab and soft baits like peeled shrimp and cut bait. I've never targeted them.  They have always been incidental.  Peeled shrimp is popular advice to those who target black drum in my area.   

I do consider these to be an indicator of good conditions.  I feel there are likely to be redfish mixed in with black drum since they share some feeding habits.  If I land a couple of black drum, I'll switch to a more lively approach by using larger live bait (or artificial equivalent) and keep it moving.  This seems to discourage them since reds are more aggressive and will chase a bait.

Swami805

Looks like enough breeze to keep the skitters down. Never seen anything like this saltwater skitters
Do what you can with that you have where you are