Another trip in bad weather, we will see how it goes.

Started by Wolfram M, September 30, 2023, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 03, 2023, 11:46:50 PMI don't always do this but...
I understand your point, Jason.  But, in this case, you're sharing with a "Like Mind".  You're not wasting information on someone who doesn't "get it".
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wolfram M

Was doing good this morning at the Causeway, lots of short fish casting up around the bridge pilings but at least they're biting. Had at least 8 short mangroves, then I notice a bunch of people starting to show up...Turns out a local 8th grade science class was going to show up for the rest of the day, and pretty soon I had 150 8th graders running all over the causeway.

So, I pulled in the lines and carefully extricated myself from there, and headed up to Long Point County park, and threw out the lines there. Nothing keeper size, but I did get some fish!

2 short snook-1, 12" and 1, 18"-I was jazzed to actually catch a snook at all.

16 mangrove snapper, really dark, nearly black in color-the water was transparent but deeply tinted brown, and the fish reflected that. None over 12", only two were legal keepers but still pretty small.

11 pinfish-including the biggest pinfish I've ever seen. Two of these became snook bait.

1 leatherjack. Not fun. He did stick me, and it is not pleasant. Not horrible like some say but not something I'd like to do again.

The Beachmaster did pretty good casting out into the lagoon with a pinfish on the line-I haven't birdsnested it badly yet. I did get a little backlash here and there but not more than a loop or two loose on the spool-easy and fast to clear.

All together, the last day fishing produced some fun, even if I didn't catch any keepers. I'm out of bait now and doing a good cleaning on all the gear and getting it packed up tonight for the drive home tomorrow.

JasonGotaProblem

Dude you did long point! Thats my old stomping grounds! Lots of small fish but on light tackle I always have a blast.

I'm glad you could go pull up some fish while you were down here, and any day catching snook is a good day on the water. They're smart fish. Not like a trout that will hit anything that moves. If you catch one, you outsmarted it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wolfram M

20lb fluoro leader 4ft long, 2 1/4oz split shots, and a 3" pinfish set out is all I did. I just had the right size bait I guess because the mullet were all over, but were much bigger.

I was hoping for a handful of 14-16" mangroves but I had a good day anyway.