Another trip in bad weather, we will see how it goes.

Started by Wolfram M, September 30, 2023, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Got the news today-my charters for the week have all cancelled for bad weather already. Not great, but I'm still going fishing if there is no thunder/lightning risk.

May be a tough trip but that will just make it all the sweeter when I pull that first fish in.

JasonGotaProblem

Dang dude they cancelled this far out? Is there a hurricane coming?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wolfram M

Supposed to be severe storms coming off the Atlantic tonight, all day tomorrow, and all day Wednesday.

Hopefully the mullet are still running when I get there tomorrow at 4 and I get some good chances at snook and tarpon. I would be seriously undergunned for any kind of big tarpon but it would still be fun.

Swami805

I hate that!  Weather throwing a wrench in the works. At least you'll be fishing, hope you get a few
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wolfram M

No beach fishing here anyway-beaches are closed due to turtles nesting.

Not that I could throw out in a 40mph onshore breeze.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wolfram M on October 01, 2023, 08:48:12 PMNo beach fishing here anyway-beaches are closed due to turtles nesting.

Not that I could throw out in a 40mph onshore breeze.

Fish inshore. No turtles, lots of snook. Especially down where you are. Throw a f'n mile with that wind at your back. But yeah it's very brisk out today on the west coast too.

Shellbelly

Yep.  That wind makes it tough.  Add lead and watch your spools! 

Sea turtles shutting down the beach?  Didn't know that happened anywhere.  We just give them the road....give 'em space and leave 'em alone.  I guess folks vacationing might gather around and bother them??  Do you guys normally see a whole lot of them? 

As kids, we were taught that sea turtles were off-limits.  We were shown turtles but weren't allowed to touch them.  The lesson given to us was kind of reverent because of their nature.  It's a bonus when one pops up nearby while you're wade fishing.  Kind of personal. 8)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wolfram M

It's a resort rule. Being a teacher the only way I can afford to go fishing like this is use family timeshare points, I plan these trips and almost always everyone else backs out so it's just me and driving wherever I need to go is no problem.

This time it is t just me, and this resort is very "kid friendly". I've already been knocked to the ground by a screaming kid running out a doorway full speed.

I'm gonna wait til later tonight to start rigging rods lest I hook a kid.

Wolfram M

Started the day hopeful, Sebastian inlet was crammed full of fingerling and footling mullet and palm sized greenbacks. Current was ripping so it took a long time to catch bait, but 3 hours in I hooked a small snook. About the time I saw it, my dad threw a rock at me trying to get me to turn around for a stupid picture and I fell over and snapped my rod off, lost the snook, and soaked all my gear.

I will never, ever bring family with me fishing again.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Dang dude. Like, you fell in? Yeah i never bring family fishing if I can avoid it. I only bring other fishermen fishing. And I'm sometimes hesitant to to that.

At least you went on a weekday or the story would be of how in addition to that, 3 people tried to fight you over the portion of public land they think is their spot.

Wolfram M

Lol, it was still a pretty busy day at the inlet. The whole thing happened because my family just refuse to recognize I am almost completely deaf on my right side. If you shout at me from the right, I'm not gonna hear you.

I didn't get all the way down in, but almost lost my gear bag. Went down between some rocks, but I got it out.

The rod wasn't anything special, just a 2 piece Shimano medium weight. I was using it for snagging mullet and got hit while trying to pull the bait in, so not only did the above circus act happen, it was still not likely I would have landed the fish.

I've still got one mullet left in the bait cooler so I'll go throw it in the surf this evening and see what I can do. It is still 3-6ft surf so might be a little more than I can deal with-all I can do is try.

Wolfram M

Went out today with a bait box full of greenbacks and live shrimp I got in the borrowed cast net, got out on the big causeway under the bridge in Fort Pierce, and threw out this morning looking for snapper. There were about 40 of us, so a nice big bait cloud at multiple depths and distances, all around the bridge piers and out into the tide side.

5 hours later, the 40 of us had caught 3 hardhead catfish, and we'd watched an 8 foot tarpon shred mullet all day. No snook or tarpon were hooked, and the only evidence we got of the rumored "big snapper bite" was the bitemarks on the greenbacks and the absolutely shredded shrimp.

So, no fish yet. I still have some live shrimp and it is supposed to be stormy again tomorrow, but if it's still safe to go fish in the morning I'll go use them up on the Wabasso causeway, because it's close by.

The surf is so dirty-what I remember being clean blue water when I was a kid is now brownish-green-blue. I may try again in the morning out there but it's so dirty I just don't think that I'll have much luck there.

JasonGotaProblem

I don't always do this but...
Hit the boat ramp but don't spend all your time there. Sometimes big snook sometimes nothing. Hit the bridge by the boat ramp from below if its still accessible. drop by the wall and cast by the pilings. Hit the small bridge only if it's high tide.

Wolfram M

Thanks, Jason. Those were my target areas already, and I while I didnt find anything early yesterday morning I now know the area and will be going back today.

Yesterday's fishing got cut short with big rain, so I drove over to Oviedo and spent some money with Mud Hole for wintertime projects. (Just the money I was going to spend on the two boat trips that got cancelled.)