Newell reels on Ebay

Started by pijon, March 07, 2012, 03:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pijon

I have noticed that Newell reels appear to be selling for top dollar. Even damaged ones appear to be selling high. I took mine off my rods and placed them back in their boxes just in case this is some kind of trend. 

Brendan

I kind of noticed that as well. I bought a 322 at a local shop and saw them listed on Ebay for a lot more.

Panama

Quote from: Brendan on March 07, 2012, 04:15:28 AM
     I kind of noticed that as well. I bought a 322 at a local shop and saw them listed on Ebay for a lot more.
Wouldn't mind a P322....Does that local shop still have them?
Get on the water, Man!!!

Brendan

It was used but appeared to be in great condition. I went through it and was glad I did, I think if it got fished for a year without a service it would have been almost impossible to remove all of the side plate screws.
Brendan.

Makule

The Newell company is now essentially out of business.  It's a long story, but suffice it to say that the reels and parts for the reels are no longer available, unless you can find someone who might have leftovers in stock.  Strangely, unlike what happened when GM looked like they might be going under and people stopped buying their cars for fear of not being able to get parts, the people who use Newell reels are falling over themselves to pick up all the reels and part they can get their hands on.  Naturally, this drives the prices very high.

I don't really expect that the reel will actually become a collectors item simply because there are so many of them.  They are also fragile enough that as other reels become available that combine lightness, line capacity, fast retrieve, and good brakes (which the Newells don't have), my guess is that they will gradually fall out of favor and become dust collectors.  The prices of used reels have been driven, I think, primarily by the Hawaii guys since the use of those reels here is so widespread.  My guess is that maybe 80% of the guys who do shore casting for ulua use the Newells, and the other 20% who don't (like me) may still have at least one of those reels.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

arrowhawk

So what reel do you use for casting for ulua?

Bryan Young

Anthony,  My sources could not come up with one.  Several stopped carrying Newells when they were bought out the first time, but bought as many parts as they could afford, and even that, they are running out of parts.  Sorry buddy.  No such luck on a P322
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: arrowhawk on March 08, 2012, 02:14:41 PM
So what reel do you use for casting for ulua?

All Penn Senators, mostly 9/0, but will try the 4/0 after I beef them up to be like Sal's Tank.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Jim

Quote from: pijon on March 07, 2012, 03:24:14 AM
I have noticed that Newell reels appear to be selling for top dollar. Even damaged ones appear to be selling high. I took mine off my rods and placed them back in their boxes just in case this is some kind of trend. 

Wow, I just looked and you're really right. Think I'll get my last couple listed, what the heck, great condition and Tani handles.