C4/Fast Eddy Bearings

Started by jgp12000, October 02, 2023, 07:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Normally I don't do reviews, but when I find a product that works great, and for a good price I have to share. My one and only C4 was great when I got it. I just had to try a new bearing to experiment, and it made a notable difference! Only $3.25 after shipping, Fast Eddy Bearings. I can't imagine that this reel could have been any smoother than when it was new in 1971! It made me want another C4.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0X2H6E?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

JasonGotaProblem

Glad you had good results. I would suggest searching and reading some other users' commentary about fast eddie and their experiences. The short version is they're chrome steel bearings. Just fine for fresh water. Less so for salt.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

You mean it could be like friendly freddy like on gomer pyle,for the old guys...

philaroman

just like the name says: Fast
they take your money, fast
they ship your bearing, fast
you write premature review, fast
non-SS bearing will die, fast (really fast, in S/W)

ExcessiveAngler

Gotta ask?
What Abu takes 10 x 19 x 7 bearings?

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

I thought this was a Conventional Abu!
That explains that lol!
I didn't realize this was in the spinning reel forum lol!

philaroman

wait...  what is "Alloy Steel" -- ferrous pot metal?  ???
10x19x7 is pretty big -- does that mean it's your pinion bearing?
absolutely worst place to be gambling with questionable corrosion resistance
ESPECIALLY, w/ metal frame...  the seals actually make things worse, IMHO

jgp12000

This reel will never see salt water,if it's a disimiliar metal concern I understand that.I did add a generous amount of Lucas reel oil
And superlube to all contacting surfaces.I will update in 12 months.

foakes

There are plenty of good bearing companies that offer decent bearings at $4 to $6 each.

On SW, I only use SS bearings.  Actually, the same with fresh water because they are easily cleaned and evacuated of old grease when time for another service.

After installing a new bearing in a vintage Cardinal, DQ, or Penn reel —- I do not expect to do it again.

So I get a decent SS bearing that I have had good results with.

The Fast Eddy's will do a great job in fresh water spinners —- when properly lubed.  I do pop off the rubber shield on one side —- remove their grease —- install my own —- and re-install the bearing in spinners with the "open side" properly lubed and oriented to the inside of the reel.

Many of these bearings that are bought and offered in bulk are for RC, hobbyists, or skateboards. They get 10 times the stress and RPM's as our fishing reels will ever get.

I just can't spend $10-$12 a bearing.  And I replace a lot of bearings.

Generally I buy a few dozen or a 100 at a time —- of the most frequently used sizes.

Proper lube is key.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.