Started by bluesnart, October 02, 2023, 08:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesnart

Hello I just now became a new member...I collect vintage reels and bass lures....I live in So California and fish mostly urban lakes for bass...often with my old reels and rods
I have a question about a clicking sound when I turn the handle on my Zebco Cardinal 7...it's coming from the end of the plastic white slide as it goes round and just touches the raised nub on the winding cup ( that's what it's called in the schematic
Any suggestions how to fix this annoying problem
Thanks and I'm looking forward to checking this site out in the future

Brewcrafter

Welcome from the SoCal Inland Empire, you have come to the right place.  When it comes to Cardinals, I am sure that Fred or Tommy will be along shortly... - john

foakes

Quote from: bluesnart on October 02, 2023, 08:00:11 PMHello I just now became a new member...I collect vintage reels and bass lures....I live in So California and fish mostly urban lakes for bass...often with my old reels and rods
I have a question about a clicking sound when I turn the handle on my Zebco Cardinal 7...it's coming from the end of the plastic white slide as it goes round and just touches the raised nub on the winding cup ( that's what it's called in the schematic
Any suggestions how to fix this annoying problem
Thanks and I'm looking forward to checking this site out in the future

Welcome aboard, Bluesnart!

It is possible that the white plastic slide is distorted, cracked, or not setting in place properly.  Then impacts the trip nub as the rotor is rotated.

Photos would help.

Of course you know that the pinion A/R dog will make a clicking sound when the a/r switc(is pushed forward.

And also the click spring that interacts with the drag stack ratchet will also make a clicking sound when the drag is being pulled and activated.

But it sounds like your sound is coming from the white slide inside the rotor.

Tommy will know more.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluesnart

Thanks for your welcome and responses guys...foakes your analysis leads me to believe the problem is in the slide...I'll wait for more input...
Two more things I am in need of
1. Bale spring for a Quick 1000
2. The screw in cover for the handle's other side
Pics included

JasonGotaProblem

I gotta say I love the user name. I know full well the intent was "blues n art" but I laugh every time I see it, because my brain reads it as "blue snart" and I'm not sure why that's so funny to me but it is. Either way welcome aboard. I think you'll love it here.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

A cap is needed on the off-handle side of that 1000 —- not a screw.

I have bail springs.  However, on these 1000/1001's, the most common reason for a bail to not snap back into retrieve position is the degeneration of the silicone bumper on the brake ring.

I have all of these parts —- and also the Cardinal 7 parts if we can determine what the issue is.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Greetings, Bluesnart, from Minnesota.

Frank

Midway Tommy

It appears that the springs may be deformed on the ends that hook over the white bail stopper. Are you sure that the bail stopper is releasing all the way? Make sure the bail stopper moves freely. Also, check the bail plate notch where the bail stopper goes into it. Sometimes the bail plate gets a small chip there that keeps the bail stopper from releasing all the way. 

The only other things I can think of would be if the bearing retainer isn't tight or the spacer is missing.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bluesnart

Foakes
I'll follow up on the 7 (break it down and check the part)and get back to you
I'll check the bumper part (shown in your pic right)
The spring is very weak so I need one for sure
Do you have the original handle for the 1000?
Juan

bluesnart

Tommy
Thanks for your suggestions I'll break it down and check it following your analysis...
Juan

bluesnart

Thanks Frank and Jason
Yes I think this site will be very helpful and enjoyable
Juan

foakes

Quote from: bluesnart on October 03, 2023, 03:55:02 AMFoakes
I'll follow up on the 7 (break it down and check the part)and get back to you
I'll check the bumper part (shown in your pic right)
The spring is very weak so I need one for sure
Do you have the original handle for the 1000?
Juan

Yes, I should have one, Juan —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluesnart

Fred
I don't see a silicone bumper where I think they should be...can you explain further
Juan

foakes

Yes, Juan —-

The silicone bumper goes right here on the brake ring.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluesnart

Fred
Thanks for taking the time to help me with with the Quick...
I see you repair reels...I'd be interested in the parts we discussed
Can you give me a cost break..shipping and if you don't mind the estimated value of the reel after back in working order
Juan