Coit electric reels

Started by oldmanjoe, October 02, 2023, 11:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I had seen these reels from Fred `s liquidation thread .  Interest peaked , I had to try one .           I just received 2 of these reels .   Both are missing parts so he gave both of them , to make one working electric reel .

Now that I have them and looking them over ,I see two different designs .   The switching mechanism are different , seen from the outside . 

I have been looking for Schematics , mainly for the switch that was used for the red one here .
There is very little information that I can find so far .   Anybody have one to compare notes?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Joe i was thinking about these. I assume you won't do this because you're smarter than me and probably don't destroy vintage reels out of curiosity. But I'd consider it.

Back in the day they hadn't yet figured out how to cheap out on electrical components. So I'm betting the wires are thick-ish and the motor is likely oversized. And an 18650 battery might fit in the spot the C battery came from. An enterprising but ill advised person could probably make that thing way more powerful.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Well I did the same thing , thinking there was motor in there .   There is not .   It is a electromagnet anti backlash system .    I will be posting shortly of the internals
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

The death of many of those was from leaving the battery in that corroded. Pretty sure there was a thread about them on here at one point
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

I have try a search here and did not find anything technical.   I am open to all information .
   This is about the best so far information wise . 
http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2010/03/bright-idea-brief-history-of-electric.html

One thing that sticks out to me is that the automatic line sensor mechanism can stay on all the time and drain the battery.

oldmanjoe

This one is the one that looks like it will kill a battery .   
  The second picture is the auto minis the switch itself that i am looking for information .
The third picture is the manual switch assemble

ExcessiveAngler

Saw a few of these for sale at various sites!
There has to be a bunch of ORCA members here!
I heard somebody mentioning about giving ORCA credit, for some information and some pics not too long ago!
Did you try doing a search by images on Google?

Midway Tommy

Nothing Coit in the Members Only Reel News access or Harvey Garrison Library.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on October 03, 2023, 04:18:09 AMSaw a few of these for sale at various sites!
There has to be a bunch of ORCA members here!
I heard somebody mentioning about giving ORCA credit, for some information and some pics not too long ago!
Did you try doing a search by images on Google?
I have google , owners manual, schematics and patents .  I tried the patent link from the article that    Dr todd Larson wrote .  It did not bring me to the original patent .  I have to keep working at that , there is a lot to be learned from patents .  I did get the drawing from that link.

It is the manual switch drawing .  I am look for the automatic switch drawing or pictures .

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 03, 2023, 04:23:27 AMNothing Coit in the Members Only Reel News access or Harvey Garrison Library.
Thank you for looking there .  I thought if there is a schematic around , it would be there .

JasonGotaProblem

Ok dumb question is it "coit" or "colt"?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

oldmanjoe

Here I am going show some design change .  I am kinder baffle with this .

Note that were the coil assemble location is .

This one is missing ,but you can see the location .  also the the holes that the coil probes go in .

Now I am going to flip the plates over and show what confuses me .

Look at were the difference in the plate arrangements are .    They are 180 degrees different for were the magnetic prob will pull from?

oldmanjoe

Here is the plate that the moves the braking on the spool

Midway Tommy

I think maybe you will learn a little more about the reel mechanics here, Joe. Plus there are some additional links to references.  :d

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2600685A/en
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)