CLEANING SOLUTIONS FOR ULTRASONIC CLEANERS

Started by kevin cozens, October 03, 2023, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin cozens

Im looking into alternatives to use in my ultrasonic cleaner.
At present i use carb cleaning solution but its rather expensive and you cannot buy it in your local motor factor.
I have to order it from the supplier at £35 per 5 litres.
What other cleaners work well in an ultrasonic cleaner?
My main worry is if the cleaner will cause corrosion or damage, especially to aluminium or brass.
whats the opinions on the products in the photo

foakes

Hi Kevin —-

I am not familiar with any of the products pictured.

Just because they are possibly a UK or European product, mostly?

Having used an Ultrasonic Cleaner for well over 25 years —- and tried a LOT of cleaning solutions —- I have narrowed it down to (3).

LACQUER THINNER —- not paint thinner or mineral spirits.
This is good for steel, brass, aluminum, copper, chromed parts.

DAWN HD BLUE DISH SOAP —- this, mixed with water, is good for painted surfaces, plastics, Bakelite, and more delicate finishes such as anodized surfaces & parts.

SIMPLE GREEN —- Generally cut about 50/50 with water.  This is good for painted metals, interior casements and frames, metal sideplates.  The parts CANNOT be left too long in this SG solution.  It will remove paint, and dull plastics.

That's it...

The Ultrasonic Cleaner reservoir is kept filled with fresh water.

The parts are dropped into these various solutions that are inside of wide-mouthed jars.

If a part is too large for the jars —- I use larger plastic or glass containers that I cut down to size.  Or, even a ziplock bag filled with SG or Dawn.  Of course, the lacquer thinner will melt any plastics —- so only glass containers on these

I also NEVER use the heat setting on the US cleaners.

There are things not recommended —- such as HD purple degreaser on aluminum parts —- it will turn them black.

A couple or simple tricks —-

I go down to the thrift store, or yard sales —- and buy Pyrex glass 10" pie baking pans.  When I have cleaned a reel in 2 or 3 solutions at the same time —- the jars go into the pie baking pan for transport 30 feet away to the water sink for rinsing.  I also pour the cleaning solutions into other glass jars for immediate reuse on the next reel.  I can generally get 3-4 cleanings on the same jar of lacquer thinner.  It is expensive at about $24 a gallon —- but extremely effective.  Also flammable —- so use care and common sense, along with safety protocols and a way to dispose of the remainder safely.

Also, I only do one reel at a time —- never mix up parts between multiple reels.

Parts are rinsed, dried, laid on paper towels —- then re-examined for any places that then need burnishing, polishing, additional cleaning with a toothbrush, etc.

Returned to the bench on a small restaurant tray.

Assembled.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pointbob

i dont even have a cleaner but thanks for the info!
Patience comes to those who wait

kevin cozens

Quote from: pointbob on October 03, 2023, 04:52:31 PMi dont even have a cleaner but thanks for the info!
You should get one. if you run petrol garden machinary they are great for cleaning the carb. My mistake is i wish i had got the 10 litre size. try putting a senator 9/0 in a 3 litre USC  ;D

kevin cozens

Quote from: foakes on October 03, 2023, 03:16:23 PMHi Kevin —-

I am not familiar with any of the products pictured.

Just because they are possibly a UK or European product, mostly?

Having used an Ultrasonic Cleaner for well over 25 years —- and tried a LOT of cleaning solutions —- I have narrowed it down to (3).

LACQUER THINNER —- not paint thinner or mineral spirits.
This is good for steel, brass, aluminum, copper, chromed parts.

DAWN HD BLUE DISH SOAP —- this, mixed with water, is good for painted surfaces, plastics, Bakelite, and more delicate finishes such as anodized surfaces & parts.

SIMPLE GREEN —- Generally cut about 50/50 with water.  This is good for painted metals, interior casements and frames, metal sideplates.  The parts CANNOT be left too long in this SG solution.  It will remove paint, and dull plastics.

That's it...

The Ultrasonic Cleaner reservoir is kept filled with fresh water.

The parts are dropped into these various solutions that are inside of wide-mouthed jars.

If a part is too large for the jars —- I use larger plastic or glass containers that I cut down to size.  Or, even a ziplock bag filled with SG or Dawn.  Of course, the lacquer thinner will melt any plastics —- so only glass containers on these

I also NEVER use the heat setting on the US cleaners.

There are things not recommended —- such as HD purple degreaser on aluminum parts —- it will turn them black.

A couple or simple tricks —-

I go down to the thrift store, or yard sales —- and buy Pyrex glass 10" pie baking pans.  When I have cleaned a reel in 2 or 3 solutions at the same time —- the jars go into the pie baking pan for transport 30 feet away to the water sink for rinsing.  I also pour the cleaning solutions into other glass jars for immediate reuse on the next reel.  I can generally get 3-4 cleanings on the same jar of lacquer thinner.  It is expensive at about $24 a gallon —- but extremely effective.  Also flammable —- so use care and common sense, along with safety protocols and a way to dispose of the remainder safely.

Also, I only do one reel at a time —- never mix up parts between multiple reels.

Parts are rinsed, dried, laid on paper towels —- then re-examined for any places that then need burnishing, polishing, additional cleaning with a toothbrush, etc.

Returned to the bench on a small restaurant tray.

Assembled.

Best, Fred
The use of the products in the photo are:

Tesco Multi Surface Cleaner - Used to clean multiple surfaces such as kitchen worktops and ceramic tiles

Elbow Grease - Similar to the Tesco product but also a degreaser

Dettol Washing Machine Cleaner - Used to clean the inners of a laundry washing machine

Fairy - Used to wash your plates and dishes

Fairy Non Bio Compact - used to wash your clothing in an automatic washing machine

foakes

I do know what those products are, and what they do, Kevin —-

The labels you posted are very clear and understandable.

I have used literally 60 or 70 products over the last 30 years in US cleaners for reel work.

The (3) things I mentioned are the things that are now used 98% of the time.  Quick, effective, simple, and inexpensive.

You might find something better, different, or more effective.

I am satisfied with my (3) basic cleaners —- as used primarily with thousands of reels in the last 30 years of using an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

I can also tell everyone about the many products that I don't recommend, because I have tried them —- and wasn't't happy with the results.

With all of the products out there today —- experiment and let us know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kevin cozens

would an engine degreaser such as gunk or jizer work in a USC

foakes

Might, Kevin —-

Let us know.  Always open to new things,

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.