Alcedo Micron- Taking Apart Line Roller

Started by coelaecanth, October 03, 2023, 04:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coelaecanth

Hi ya'll,

I finally got around to servicing my Alcedo Micron, but ran into an issue when trying to take apart the line roller. In the schematics, it appears that this can be taken apart, but it seems fused to the screw that holds the bailwire together.

Does anyone have an idea on how these should be taken apart?

foakes

If it needs to come off because it is corroded or screwed up —

Just soak in penetrating oil for awhile (overnight) —- then attempt a removal with a small pair of ignition pliers with vinyl or tape covered jaws.  If it breaks apart —- replace it.

If it is not corroded —- just clean it and the bail in an ultrasonic cleaner or a solution of lacquer thinner —- do not remove it —- and put the reel back together.

Either way will work just fine on these Microlight-sized reels.

I always try to take everything apart when cleaning and restoring a reel.  However, on some vintage reels where parts are not easily replaced —- and it doesn't affect the performance or appearance of a reel —- just clean up and leave well enough alone.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

If pentrating oil doesn't work try soaking that end & line roller in vinegar. Vinegar works well desolving galvanic corrosion. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

coelaecanth

Quote from: foakes on October 03, 2023, 05:11:43 PMIf it needs to come off because it is corroded or screwed up —

Just soak in penetrating oil for awhile (overnight) —- then attempt a removal with a small pair of ignition pliers with vinyl or tape covered jaws.  If it breaks apart —- replace it.

If it is not corroded —- just clean it and the bail in an ultrasonic cleaner or a solution of lacquer thinner —- do not remove it —- and put the reel back together.

I always try to take everything apart when cleaning and restoring a reel.  However, on some vintage reels where parts are not easily replaced —- and it doesn't affect the performance or appearance of a reel —- just clean up and leave well enough alone.

Best, Fred

It's fairly corroded, but I did soak this in vinegar the other week... I'll give the JB blaster a shot, hopefully that'll do it. If not, then I'll likely leave it as is.

Thanks y'all,
Jason

coelaecanth

After soaking in PB blaster, I wrapped the part in some felt and managed to unthread it with some needlenose pliers! Thanks for the help with this y'all.
Now all that's left is to fix the sticky drag...

coelaecanth

Quote from: foakes on October 03, 2023, 05:11:43 PMIf it needs to come off because it is corroded or screwed up —

Best, Fred

Fred, you wouldn't happen to have the thin metal drag washers for the Alcedo Micron, would you? These are looking a little worse for wear, figured they would benefit from a fresh pair if available.

foakes

Sorry, Jason —-

I got rid of all of my Alcedo Micron parts about a year ago.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coelaecanth

No worries! The drag has a consistent judder to it, I tried to lap the washers but it didn't do much. The felt washer is compressed, so I'm trying to find an alternative outside of carbontex as I hear that it doesn't provide much modulation. Tried some acrylic felt from my local hobby shop, but the juddering issue is still there, I think it may have to do with the inconsistent thickness, but not sure.

I ordered some teflon sheets last night, so will give those a go. Contrary to what people say, I've had great experience with teflon as a drag material on ultralight settings.