Penn 700 or 704z

Started by circlehook, October 04, 2023, 02:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

circlehook

I'm considering picking up one of these old school Penn reels to restore / use occasionally . I'm not very familiar with either of these apart from the online-documented caveats with line lay and the quirky bail.

That said. which of these would perform better and be easier to live with? My criteria are - ease of maintenance / availability of spares, performance / enjoyable to use.

These are still fairly common but might not
be in a few years . If there's something else that I should consider , please share . My usage is mostly surf casting around the beaches of south Texas

Thanks

JasonGotaProblem

I can think of more folks than I can count on one hand that have a pile of parts for these. I'm one of those folks, but that's an aside.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Both are excellent and very similar reels for surf-fishing.

Parts are not an issue.

I have little kits I made up for folks —- of 10 or 12 of the most commonly needed tune-up parts.

Great reels!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Surfrat

Get the Penn 704z for the better ht-100 drags on the spool and parts are easier to find because the reel is still available. The 700 got a few parts that are expensive and not interchangeable with the 704z. You can buy used 704z cheaper than 700 on fleabay.

circlehook

Thanks , I read the same about the 704z being easier to find drag upgrades for .

circlehook

Ok, I guess I can have my cake and eat it too. I made an offer on these a while back and I just now saw that it has been accepted . Hopefully , I haven't picked up a pair of paperweights :)

From the auction description
"The 700 is marked on the side with "Spinfisher" and the number 700. It needs to be cleaned, greased, and will probably need a  bailspring. The anti-reverse works.
The 704 has a round badge with the number 704. Also, needs cleaning, greasing, and a bailspring. Again the anti-reverse works.
Both have Bakelite handles.
I assume the drags will also need to be looked at"

Surfrat

Congratulations!  ;) You bought both. I have both reels. ;D

Cuttyhunker

Still have a fisher 700 in the kit that dad bought in the 60's, way uglier than yours, and just can't wear it out.  Good score!
Doomed from childhood