Undergunned for albacore

Started by jzumi, October 07, 2023, 05:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

Just me and my wife today, boating offshore out of Bodega Bay mainly to escape the heat.

We threw the lines in and then she said what I thought would definitely kill any chance of hooking anything, "I want to catch an albacore."

We wandered around dragging an array of clones with marginal gear. That's okay, I thought, we're out here just to enjoy the day.

And then the port rod gets hammered and it's game on!  This was a big fish that almost spooled the TLD 20/40 Star on an American Seeker labeled for 25 lb test.  We usually use this setup for salmon trolling. I mainly threw it in just to balance the spread.  It handled this strong fish like a champ. My wife suffered a nasty sliced thumb during a huge run when she thumbed the spool of 50 lb braid.

Finally sunk the gaff and my wife's first albacore hit the deck.

A great day that we'll always remember.

MarkT

Nice! I put flex tape on my thumb and index finger to prevent that spectra burn.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Crab Pot

jzumi,

First off I'm sorry your wife got a braid cut, I know from experience those hurt!

Bodega Bay is in my backyard.

How far out were you? I see land...

What were the water temps?

Clones are my go to. What color did it hit, Zucchini, Jerry Garcia, Mexican Flag?

I knew they are further north but if they are within range out of Bodega I'm excited!

Thanks,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Cor

Sounds like a fantastic day!
Those fish are great to catch and great to eat!
Cornelis

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

jzumi

Quote from: Crab Pot on October 07, 2023, 06:03:36 AMjzumi,

First off I'm sorry your wife got a braid cut, I know from experience those hurt!

Clones are my go to. What color did it hit, Zucchini, Jerry Garcia, Mexican Flag?

I knew they are further north but if they are within range out of Bodega I'm excited!

Thanks,

Steve

22 miles from the head. 63 degree green water. Zucchini's. We also had a madmac out that didn't get touched. We saw multiple bft at Westside cleaning table

Shellbelly

Quote from: jzumi on October 07, 2023, 05:07:34 AMMy wife suffered a nasty sliced thumb during a huge run when she thumbed the spool of 50 lb braid.
Ouch!  But that's part of the memories you made today.  Thanks for sharing!!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Crab Pot

Quote from: jzumi on October 07, 2023, 02:01:24 PM
Quote from: Crab Pot on October 07, 2023, 06:03:36 AMjzumi,

Thanks,

Steve

22 miles from the head. 63 degree green water. Zucchini's. We also had a madmac out that didn't get touched. We saw multiple bft at Westside cleaning table

Oh man, now you really got my juices flowing.

How big were the Bluefin?

We normally put X-Raps on the Meat Lines. Madmac's are a devastating lure as well though.

Thanks for the report!

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

jurelometer

Nice!!!

Good to see albacore closer to SF. And not a peanut.

One small quibble:  I personally wouldn't say a TLD star with 50 lb braid is undergunned for any albacore that will be found off California.  I remember taking a 55 lb albacore on 60 lb mono with 15 lbs of drag (think the reel was a 113h) and it was over pretty quick without any thumbing. 15lbs drag should be plenty doable on a TLD star.  That reel is pretty much as capable a star drag as you are going to find in that size range.

-J

jzumi

Quote from: jurelometer on October 07, 2023, 05:59:34 PMNice!!!

One small quibble:  I personally wouldn't say a TLD star with 50 lb braid is undergunned for any albacore that will be found off California.  I remember taking a 55 lb albacore on 60 lb mono with 15 lbs of drag (think the reel was a 113h) and it was over pretty quick without any thumbing. 15lbs drag should be plenty doable on a TLD star.  That reel is pretty much as capable a star drag as you are going to find in that size range.

-J

You are absolutely right. Outgunned is really a figment of the mind.

I just really like feeling of having the upper hand...

pointbob

Patience comes to those who wait

Benni3

johndtuttle

Great to see!

But under gunned for trolling if BFT are around. As prevalent as they have been legit trolling gear is worth it to avoid getting spooled.

I'd like 600 yards of 60# at least these days for trolling. After a jig stop throw chunks and go as light as you want, imo.

Cor

Quote from: jurelometer on October 07, 2023, 05:59:34 PMNice!!!

-J
I would certainly not resist casting a lure at those fish if a Star TLD was the reel attached to the rod and would do the same even with bigger quarry. I would feel reasonably comfortable to land the fish as well.  Not too much respect for tackle here, if it breaks in the process, so be it ;D

I would be happier with a slightly stronger reel though.
Cornelis