I'm seized up my second Abu baitcast reel and now I think I know why.

Started by pointbob, October 07, 2023, 10:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

Ok recap.

A while back...in the last year....I posted on this board how my driveshaft on my abu 5500c3 was seized up. I could not removed it. I tried everything and eventually used a drill to loosen it up  (inserted driveshaft into the chuck and ran it for 15 minutes). I theorized I got saltwater on it (took it to hawaii) and messed up fishing pac north west for big salmon.

Now it has happened AGAIN on completely different abu pro rocket 6500. And it happened immediately after I played a big snagged salmon/ratched down the drag and torqued the handle. In fact I was using an after mkt power handle so likely even more torque.

Immediately afterwards  I could barely rotate my handle at all (again same symptom with first reel).

Now these reels are fairly recently (last 10 years production); maybe abu is using lesser quality steel on their driveshaft posts. But I could not for the life of me remove the thing from the abu plate. The drill trick sort of helped but still stiff. I'll try some more.

But am I expecting too much from these 5000-6000 reels? It seems awfully easy to bend them out of shape.

Are the older reels more strong (like +40 years old with better steel or brass?) I love the size of these abu baitcasters...I'd hate to have to use an abu 7000c3 for drift fishing. But I imagine on those 7000 series have beefier drive shafts and components....

Patience comes to those who wait

oldmanjoe

:-\  I don`t fish with these reels . Always though they were to small for the type of fishing that i do.
      I do agree that older reels have better quality materials .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

Old or new reel, if you push it harder than it was designed to handle it's likely something will fail. There could also be a defect in both reels that is caused it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

What's your lubrication protocol, especially at the stud to gear sleeve area?
Hawaii water will do that to ya😜, Ha! I doubt there's any difference. However, metal stuff that never goes near the beach, does corrode at an accelerated rate here.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pointbob

thanks all....does anyone make a stainless steel Abu Bearing Drive Shaft? the brass is definitely worthy of an upgrade in my case.

jurelometer

It seems unlikely that the driveshaft would deform. Could it be a deformed post and/or bridge? 

The natural human winding motion when using a long handle arm will tend to push away a bit on the down stroke and lever the driveshaft and post against the bridge.

Power handle/arms are always a risk on reels with gear sleeve type main shafts, as the shaft is only supported on one side.  Maybe consider going back to a stock handle assembly?

-J

Swami805

I was thinking the post or bridge was slightly tweaked too. Is there anything under the AR cog that would allow it to tilt a little or is it flat to the bridge?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ExcessiveAngler

I've had a few this way, unfortunately!
Bought a few like this, thinking I could fix them, no can do, not without a new plate!
Or sometimes it can also be a bent frame!
I've also caused this to a few lol!
I've banged, and dropped a few of them too!
Then, when you crank the handle, it's smooth, and then rough, smooth and rough!
You can feel the gear sleeve, rubbing/binding against the post on the bridge!
I've also tweaked a couple frames, using the reel, way beyond its limits, using super heavy braided lines!
A couple times, I was lucky and able to file out, the inside of the gear sleeve!
It's a real PIA , when the post gets slightly bent, on the handle side plate!
Sounds like it's time, for a new/different side plate to me!

MarkT

Are you pushing it beyond its design limits? If so use a stronger reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ExcessiveAngler

Another thing, I've become very conscious of!
Mind you, I'm not fighting tuna, but I am fighting, giant stripers, black drum, giant rays, and sharks, mostly in heavy surf too!
I really, only try to use the reel, to gather and give out line, is my philosophy!
I always try, to let the rod, do all the work, watched to many people, mess up, or just kill their reels!
Abu Garcia's, really are great reels, especially the older Swedish ones!
But, I also learned, the hard way, they do have their limits!
So, gotta ask, were these Swedish Abus?

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pointbob

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on October 09, 2023, 05:00:10 AMAnother thing, I've become very conscious of!
Mind you, I'm not fighting tuna, but I am fighting, giant stripers, black drum, giant rays, and sharks, mostly in heavy surf too!
I really, only try to use the reel, to gather and give out line, is my philosophy!
I always try, to let the rod, do all the work, watched to many people, mess up, or just kill their reels!
Abu Garcia's, really are great reels, especially the older Swedish ones!
But, I also learned, the hard way, they do have their limits!
So, gotta ask, were these Swedish Abus?

yes...mad in Sweden....but i do think using a 110mm aftermkt handle added more torque

boon

A 110mm handle on a reel built like these is begging for trouble. I'd say the post is bent.

steelfish

Quote from: pointbob on October 07, 2023, 10:34:42 PMIn fact I was using an after mkt power handle so likely even more torque.

can you post a picture of your aftermarket handle ?

I normally use the stock "power handle" from abu in all my 6500 reels but maybe yours add more torque
The Baja Guy

pointbob

Quote from: boon on October 09, 2023, 08:05:51 PMA 110mm handle on a reel built like these is begging for trouble. I'd say the post is bent.

yup. you are correct; I have so discovered....maybe stick to 100mm max (the oem is 90mm i believe) - but i think the driveshaft (brass) is the weak spot...the post is steel and between the two I think the brass bent.