Gear Change on BX-400N

Started by hibiki, March 07, 2012, 03:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hibiki

I recently acquired a BX-400N Lefty and I read somewhere that you can upgrade the 4:1 gearing to 6:1, making it a BX-400XN.

Is it as simple as replacing the main gear (B-5780 with B-5782) and pinion (B-5842 with B-1514)? Or do I need other parts to perform the upgrade?

Where can I order such parts?

Thanks.

Jim

To the best of my knowledge nobody makes parts except bearings for accurates except accurate. You'll have to call them.

hibiki

Quote from: Jim on March 08, 2012, 02:25:17 AM
To the best of my knowledge nobody makes parts except bearings for accurates except accurate. You'll have to call them.

Thanks Jim.
Have you tried swapping/upgrading gears in accurate reels? Is it true that it can be done?

hibiki

I got confirmation from Accurate. Excellent customer service. :D

You only need the gear set to upgrade from 4:1 to 6:1. The parts you will  need are B-5782 (main) and B-1514 (pinion). Less than $50 for both. You can order from them. 

hafnor

This is great stuff. I was wondering about doing the same with my daiwa dogfight, but the gear change (same as yours) costs over 230 usd :0

hibiki

That's the cost of a brand new Saragosa 10000  :o

Piskada

Quote from: hibiki on March 08, 2012, 09:36:03 PM

You only need the gear set to upgrade from 4:1 to 6:1. The parts you will  need are B-5782 (main) and B-1514 (pinion). Less than $50 for both. You can order from them. 
Have you got the gears and replaced them, doest it really work?
The reason why I asked actually is my own experience with the old 870. Years ago I wanted to change it to 6:1 and for that I needed to change the complete side plate where the gears are, also. That's caused by the different diameters of the 6:1 gears.
So now I'm really curious about the gear swap on this new 400 series, please post your gear change process. I also have the BX400XN 6:1, it would be nice to have a second set 4:1 gears. Thanks

Piskada

Quote from: hibiki on March 08, 2012, 09:36:03 PM

Have you got the replacement gears & install it in your reel?