Looking for input on preventative maintenance for brand new Fin-Nor SA25

Started by Maxed Out, March 07, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Just picked up 2 brand new fin-nor santiago SA25 2 speed reels and I'm wondering if there is some things I could do as far as preventative maintenance prior to using them. The manual that came with the reel doesn't cover any maintenance or even have a schematic for the reel. I know ZERO about these reels, as I have always been a penn guy, but I couldn't pass them up for the price. I got both reels for $623.00 shipped to my door. Not bad considering they retail for $500.00 each and seldom go on sale.

They will be used for pulling planer boards for albacore and possibly for deep drop ocean bottom fishing for Halibut, Lings, and Black cod.

I also know zippo about using a lever drag reel and the only thing the manual said was they recommend adjusting the drag when the lever is in the freespool mode. A friend of mine told me I could possibly do damage to it if I adjusted the drag without putting in freespool first.

Kinda sucks when a guy spends loads of dough on a new reel and it doesn't come with maintenance instructions or a schematic.

Bryan ???   Alan ???  Dom ???   Sal ???.....Anybody ???
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Jimmer

Try here for the schematic: http://www.tackleservice.com/Consumer/Product_detail_m.aspx?ProductID=3116       I got to use a santiago 130 to land a 220lb tuna, it was smooth, tons of drag. Always adjust the pre set knob in the freespool position work the drag setting upward carefully to where you need it, Don't force the drag lever, you can damage stuff.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

as a minimum, open the reel up, apply a thin layer of grease to the internal side plates and spool; if possible, grease the right and left side plate bearing, and grease all screws (esp. outward facing screws).  Oh, while you have it open, grease the drag washer with teflon grease (Cals, Shimano,...)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

Maxed - If you read any of the tutorials on 2 speed lever drags you'll get the general idea of what is done in the A.T. pre service. Take pics and pay attention to where different length screws go, lay every thing out in order, try to note any differences from the schematic (missing or extra washers/ spacers are common) take your time, you'll be fine. Having 2 reels is nice, if you get stuck you can look at the other one, do them 1 at a time.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Thanks to all.

BTW Bryan, I don't have any drag grease and don't even know where to get some.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Call Dawn at SmoothDrag http://www.smoothdrag.com/ at (760) 949-0271.  If call her early enough, it could be at your door step by Saturday.  For some reason, her postal office location must be a distribution hub because the deliver time for Dawn is better than any that I have ever seen.