Main Menu

New guy

Started by Thomas B, October 14, 2023, 04:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas B

Hello, I just joined the forum. I have only a few old reels that I collect, but I'm sure that will change over time!! Back in 2021 I received from a 1st cousin our grandfathers fishing equipment. I have been fly fishing since the early 90's using a cheap rig then upgraded to L.L.Bean. I now only use my grandfather's 1940's bamboo Montague Splitswitch,(which I restored) and his Pflueger Medalist #1494 fly reel, with a restored 1950's silk level line. A year or more ago I decided to get a Pflueger Skilkast #1953 bait casting reel to use with the casting tip of the Montague rod.The reel is from circa 1945. I must say that fishing now has taken on a whole new meaning for me. My wife and I collect antiques, many are things that we can actually use. I just love fishing with this old equipment, and still catching fish too. I just bought a pre-war Skilkast with the 6 screws that I'm fixing to use, but I'll leave that for the proper category on this forum. Tom

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Welcome aboard, Tom!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

Greetings, Thomas, from Minnesota USA.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Welcome, Tom! The fish, for sure, can't tell the circa of the equipment a person is using so it's quite fulfilling to use the stuff that you really enjoy fishing with.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

Welcome Tom from the SoCal Inland Empire!  There is always a certain level of higher satisfaction (at least for me) catching a fish on gear I maintain myself.  And if you are into antique gear - guaranteed there are folks here that will help you out! - john

Benni3

Welcome from Salem va,,,,, ;D

Gobi King

welcome from west Fichigan!!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bill B

Good to have you here.  Bill, SoCal
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!