Surf fishing Oxnard/Ventura

Started by pjstevko, October 14, 2023, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'll be in the Oxnard/Ventura area for a family vacation and might have a little bit of time to cast a line. I'm hoping to luck into catching a surf perch or maybe a halibut....

I was hoping someone might hook me up with a spot to try out.

Thanks
PJ

Swami805

I don't know much about Oxnard but the beaches above Ventura can be good either side of rincon. I went last weekend up here and saw some corbina, couldn't get one to bite but they're around, perch fishing was decent
If you'll be down here on a weekend give me a holler, I'm game
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on October 14, 2023, 06:02:29 PMI don't know much about Oxnard but the beaches above Ventura can be good either side of rincon. I went last weekend up here and saw some corbina, couldn't get one to bite but they're around, perch fishing was decent
If you'll be down here on a weekend give me a holler, I'm game

We got a ABB in Ventura from Mon-thursday so no weekend time.

I've got a 10' surf rod, a 4000 spinning reel with 20# flouro leader. I'm gonna bring a couple LC-110 lures, a kastmaster and a few small 3" paddletails. Hopefully that'll do....

Swami805

Maybe I can sneak down after work
Bring a trout rod with 8-10lb too to fish perch. A grub on a Carolina rig is deadly for just about everything

Swami805

See if you can grab some of this stuff. Basic perch stuff but I've caught corbina and halibut with it too. Lucky crafts work good too except on corbina. I'll throw those if I see some kind of activity

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on October 14, 2023, 06:51:03 PMSee if you can grab some of this stuff. Basic perch stuff but I've caught corbina and halibut with it too. Lucky crafts work good too except on corbina. I'll throw those if I see some kind of activity

I'm not sure how much time I can devote to this which is why I'm just gonna throw lures. If I had a full day I'd get a carolina rig together but with my limit time it'll just be easier to fish lures.

Brewcrafter

Swami's kit is pretty comprehensive, and while I will not discourage you from throwing LCs for monsters throwing the Carolina rig you are pretty much constantly working it, and in my experience you will have a better possibility of hookup (especially with the pictured sandworms, although motor oil is my color of choice). - john

pjstevko

I bought a couple pre-made dropshot and Carolina rigs with some of those 2" gulp worms to give it a try.

Hopefully I'll catch something to cross off my life list

Bill B

PJ, I lived in Oxnard for 20 years.  In Ventura there is a public pier off California Street and a beach to the south for fishing.  In Oxnard there is a beach off 5th Street for surf fishing.  There are 2 harbors in the area, Ventura and Channel Islands.  Jetty fishing off each.  Rigging and tackle have already been covered.  Sounds like you are limited on time, but Lake Casitas and Lake Cachuma are in the area for fresh water.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

There's a good spot called faria beach a couple minutes above Ventura.   101 north just past the exit for hwy 33 there's an exit for state beaches,it's the old coast highway. Park right there at faria walk down the sand and give it a shot. Beautiful beach there, maybe bring the family to watch the sunset or something

pjstevko

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I'll let ya know how I do

pjstevko

Well I spent an hour throwing the lucky craft they other morning and all I caught was seaweed. The surf was up and and full of seaweed and kelp.

I'm gonna bring the surf rod to Cayucos next month and give it another half-assed try...

Brewcrafter

Cayucos - Now you are talking my old stomping grounds, but the Boss will probably have more current intel.  For me anywhere from north of Morro Rock up to Whale Rock was productive with easy access.  Anywhere north of that (Cayucos proper) was less productive.  Lots of parking and relatively easy access; I would start where the 41 ends at the ocean (Embarcadero) past Morro Bay High School gives you access to miles of good beach without too much of a walk though the loose sand.  Good luck!!!!!!  Wish I could be there but will have to do the next one... - john

jlezama

That's a great idea PJ! I'll bring the surf rod and give it a shot as well
Juan