Westport Albacore

Started by Maxed Out, October 14, 2023, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Got a few albacore last month and went out on a limb with a recipe that took a couple batches to perfect. It's put in dry brine for 8 hours (brown sugar/rock salt), then pepper/garlic coated, then 2 quick pans in the smoker, then into 175° oven for 45 minutes. Very happy with the results.

Still have a buttload of king and coho salmon to smoke before winter sets in.

Stay thirsty my friends
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mikeysm

Are their any albacore charters out of west port we can go on.

Mike

pointbob

looks awesome! you should do a video of the recipe
Patience comes to those who wait

Keta

Quote from: mikeysm on October 14, 2023, 05:17:41 PMAre their any albacore charters out of west port we can go on.

Mike

Several.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brewcrafter

That looks GREAT Ted!  I was fortunate enough that a couple of albacore loins accidentally fell into the cooler when Todd came down for the SOA trip and graciously brought my Port Hardy fish.  I think I have a direction on what to do with them now! - john

Gfish

Dat's a big Al-be. Wondering if this new method makes the results last longer?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

Very healthy looking fish that one, must have given you a nice run for your money!

To me a very tasty fish to eat.
Cornelis

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Sorry I skipped the actual fishing part. Tuna was spotty and we were fortunate to find bunch of birds sitting on the water a few times, and those were our best bait stops. At the end of the day, very last crack of light we got a troll fish and proceeded to get bait stop going on into darkness and ended the day with 113 albacore that were all nice grade. Several were easily 30+. Next morning we got 5 more for total of 118, and the RSW hold was almost plugged. Captain said maybe 20 more would've fit. I've been on this boat several times and it always takes 200-220 albacore to plug the hold.  Here's a few pics of the carnage

Maxed Out

Here's the RSW hold with 118 big fat albacore. I took home 11 tuna and weighed each one on digital bathroom scale. Average weight for my 11 tuna was 22.95 pounds

Maxed Out

Couple more....

Swami805

Those are nice albacore   Few things get the blood flowing like frothing albacore bite
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Finest Kind

That smoking recipe looks good. I have been using a similar recipe to smoke bluefish, but with six cups of water added, not dry. I have a 'Little Chief' smoker, it does a good job but it takes about 12 hours to smoke ten pounds of fish. I am going to try finishing my next batch in the oven. Thanks Ted!

Crab Pot

I wan'a go, I wan'a go, I wan'a go!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

ReelFishingProblems

I can't wait to move back and join you!