Biting the Bullet and Getting Ultrasonic Cleaner - Recommendation

Started by hotajax, October 15, 2023, 03:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

Dunked a Penn 6500 in the salt on the beach.  So, time for tan electric ultrasonic cleaner.  Recommendations for a small ultrasonic cleaner to put parts in ( except for the frame and rotor )?  Not looking to spend a fortune, as I do not do this as a profession.  Thanks in advance. 

PS:  The bearings were supposed to be stainless.  Are they trashed? 

jurelometer

It takes a bit of time for SS bearings to corrode when exposed to saltwater.  If properly packed with grease, they will go a whole season for me, getting wet frequently. 

An ultrasonic cleaner for a personal reel or two is overkill IMHO.  Get a bearing packer for greasing the ball bearings, and leave the shields on,  sand should not get ito a shielded beaing, but if it does, it is easy to feel.

For the rest of the parts, just an old toothbrush and paper towels or an old rag.  If the grease is not years old, it will wipe off the parts easily.  If you want to degrease completely, isopropyl alcohol from a little pump sprayer, and then a wipedown. I use discarded 3 oz  pump spray cosmetic bottles.  Stronger solvents can also be used, but I would avoid spray bottles in that case. Vaporizing strong solvents is not the path to better health.

If the spinfisher gets submersed in saltwater and you want to be extra nice to it, you can take off the sideplate and soak the whole thing in a bucket or sink of warm water (no soap) for 20 minute, then air dry completely before putting the sideplate back on. Fresh water is the best solvent for salt.   If you have to store the reel in a pouch or case, make sure it is something breathable.

The ultrasonic cleaner might be nice if you are doing a lot of reels, especially abused reels with oxidized grease, or restoring a reel to pristine condition, as Fred does.  But if you are just going to take it back to the beach in another day or two, you just need it functional.

If you get a ultrasonic cleaner and use it with strong solvents, you might want to do a bit of research on health risks, plus a complete look at whatever safety documentation is available.

My $0.02,

-J

foakes

This is what I got a couple of years ago —- after my L&R crapped out after 25 years of continuous usage.

If getting one of these —- I highly recommend the analog (mechanical knobs) —- not push button.

You will be delighted and amazed at how useful one of these are for a lot of other projects also (jewelry, small parts, gunsmithing work, plumbing parts, and a 100 other things.

However, like Dave sez — you probably don't need one for just one job.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.