Shimano Bantam 300 bearings

Started by bluesnart, October 16, 2023, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesnart

Hello I'm a new member...I have a Shimano Bantam 300 that I just purchased...I'm going to replace the drag washers and bearings...couple of questions...
1. Are the bearings different sizes
2. Once I remove the small clips that hold them in place do I need a special tool to
remove them..or do they just come out
3.What size are they
4. I'm replacing drag washers..any comments regarding their replacement..I have ordered the Cal's drag grease
Thanks Juan

Swami805

First clean out the bearings in it, could be they're fine and you save a few $. If not measure them and order fresh ones. Hopefully the come out easy, if not you can fashion a tool using the head of a nail or make something by bending the tip of a small screwdriver. There are couple extensive posts on here about removing bearings, it can be difficult at times
Smoothdrag has CF washers and maybe the bearings you need too. They should go in the same place as the old ones unless someone put them in wrong or they're missing
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bluesnart

Swami805
FYI..I've ordered the washers and bearings from Smoothdrag...this is a  early 80's reel and I want a fresh start with it and also learn something about replacing bearings and drag washers
Again thanks for your input
Juan

JasonGotaProblem

If it's like my bantam 100 there's the 2 end bearings and one on the spool shaft. The one on the spool shaft doesnt get a part number because it's considered by shimano to be part of the spool assembly. Doesn't mean it can't be replaced. You'll need to remove the pin in the shaft to replace that one. And you'll need to put the pin back in order for the reel to retrieve line. There's a few threads on how to do it that will describe the options better than i can. The cheapest option (aside from making a tool) is the tool used for fixing watch bands.

I actually replaced my ball bearings with brass plan bearings to make my UL wader/dunkable kayak reel. Still has plenty enough freespool to throw one heck of a ratnest if I'm not careful. But thats just me.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

bluesnart

Hi Jason
I see a drive shaft bearing...#13...on the schematic I have...I don't see the pin you mentioned...I'll know more once I break it down...I also have a 100

I was a float tube guy...salt and fresh water...now retired unfortunately
Juan