REEL CLEANING

Started by kevin cozens, October 16, 2023, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin cozens

Does anyone know of a good way to restore the shine of a graphite bodied reel such as a daiwa sealine.
I find they are terrible for going dull. they only seem to shine if they have grease or oil on them

ExcessiveAngler

Well, I do think I had some luck with armor all before!
But my go to is, WD-40 never lets me down!
Even when I find rods that are all dulled up!
I spray them down and wipe them off, and they almost always, look brand new lol!

Midway Tommy

ArmorAll will only last for a short period of time. Once the sun hits it and it dries out the graphite or plastic will become cloudy again. WD-40 will last a little longer but IMO stinks and feels gross. If you want something that does a good job and will last a fair amount of time get some Penetrol and follow the instructions for prep work and coating. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cor

I think that son exposure caused that.   I have a few of those reels that have spent many many hours in the son but none that look like that, so not so sure.
Cornelis

akfish

Try Penn Rod and Reel Cleaner. It often works.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ourford

I've heard that headlight lens clear coat works and lasts quite a while.
Vic

Shellbelly

I use Flitz on dull bakelite.  Never tried it on graphite.  Once the surface gets grainy, it's hard to restore.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Polish the surface with rubbing compound and a cotton wheel on a dremel. you'll be amazed the difference it makes. Then a bit of oil of your choice on top of that and you'll be golden.

(Do a test spot somewhere inconspicuous first, just in case)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

I have not tried Penetrol yet, but I will say that I have used Cerakote and not only does it restore the black, once it dries it is not greasy and lasts.  Not inexpensive, comes with several pre-treated pads in individual packets.  Best thing I have ever found for automotive plastics. - john

kevin cozens

i was wondering on WD40 but as mentioned it feels horrid. i was thinking along the lines of plastic restorer such as back to black as used on cars. i will have to look what i got in the man cave. i also got some fine scratch remover cream as well that could possibly work

Brewcrafter

I will tell you that McGuire's and Mother's both make good products.  But over the years after several bottles of "Back to Black" and then using Cerakote....- john

reelynew

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 17, 2023, 01:27:32 PMPolish the surface with rubbing compound and a cotton wheel on a dremel. you'll be amazed the difference it makes. Then a bit of oil of your choice on top of that and you'll be golden.

(Do a test spot somewhere inconspicuous first, just in case)
That is a great tip Jason.  I'm going to try that. 
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Bryan Young

I use my reel grease and work it in and buff it out. It lasts for a while. I'll be trying ceramic coatings used for automotive finishes next. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Squidder Bidder

I've used car wax on dull plastic and bakelite and it works ok.