Removing Bearings ABU Ambassadeur 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite

Started by hotajax, October 17, 2023, 07:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

The greenie.  On youtube, lots of references for disassembly of a C3.  Unable to find my exact configuaration of C3 CT Mag Elite.  I'd like to soak in oil for a week or so.  If you know of a link to this info, I'd appreciate it a lot.  Thanks. 

thorhammer

hotajax

The bearings are a each end of the spool.  What does ARB mean?  I am not familiar with that term.. Thanks for responding.

I went into the end of the spool with a bright light and a magnifying glass.  It appears that there is a really small delicate C-clip that sits in the end of the spool.  How does that clip come out?  It is really small diameter metal that makes up that C-clip. 

oldmanjoe

This may help .  https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Abu%20Garcia/Schematics/6500C3CTPREMIUMMAGELITE%2017%2000.pdf

ARB = Anti reverse bearing or one direction bearing .
     The fine wire C clip need to be removed to pull the bearing

Utube   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

The C clip comes out with a sharp knife or a pair of tweezers. Do it inside of a box, or some folks use clear plastic bags, because they like to fly. They don't like to be found.

ARB = Anti Reverse Bearing (which is a misnomer because it's not a bearing. It doesn't bear load. It's just shaped like a bearing so that's what people call it. Its a one way roller clutch. But I digress.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

hotajax

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 18, 2023, 01:49:26 PMThe C clip comes out with a sharp knife or a pair of tweezers. Do it inside of a box, or some folks use clear plastic bags, because they like to fly. They don't like to be found.

ARB = Anti Reverse Bearing (which is a misnomer because it's not a bearing. It doesn't bear load. It's just shaped like a bearing so that's what people call it. Its a one way roller clutch. But I digress.
I took a circlip off a Penn Spinfisher spool, and it flew across the kitchen.  Have no idea where.  So yeah, the bag is a great idea

thorhammer

yep, what everyone said. Gotta order a c clip for my 560 Slammer that went flying after post-Hatteras service last week.

If you don't have the US cleaner yet, you can soak the bearings in a small jar like pimetos or something with lid on, covered with lighter fluid or acetone, and swirl around every so often. Change fluid as needed until clear. This works pretty well without pulling shields off; I then place them flat and let dry, then squirt with Corrosion-X or Speed X and let dry. It opens up the spin pretty well. Pulling shields and packing with grease defeats the purpose of owning these fantastic reels...

hotajax

Thanks, we're headed to Buxton in a month, and I'm getting ready.

thorhammer

Headed back to Hatt Monday and will be on the Point. Are you in NC?

hotajax

No, I live in PA.  We go down 2X per year.  Buxton is great.  Far enough down that you avoid all the gen x-ers and millennials.

hotajax

Quote from: thorhammer on October 19, 2023, 12:21:20 PMHeaded back to Hatt Monday and will be on the Point. Are you in NC?

A favor please:  when you get back, can you let me know what condition the point is in?  Seems that pile of sand is always shifting.  Last time, was very favorable casting north.

thorhammer

thorhammer

You can cast north but it's shallow. Casting isn't the issue. It's retrieving with 30 other people two deep like a spot run on Nags Head pier up your butt tangling everything. Lot of guys were out there not understanding the drill. Hatteras Inlet has gained maybe 1/4 mile of sand, double that depending on how you want to measure it. At low tide it was about 250 yard walk from truck to water.

hotajax

hotajax

Quote from: thorhammer on October 31, 2023, 11:10:17 PMYou can cast north but it's shallow. Casting isn't the issue. It's retrieving with 30 other people two deep like a spot run on Nags Head pier up your butt tangling everything. Lot of guys were out there not understanding the drill. Hatteras Inlet has gained maybe 1/4 mile of sand, double that depending on how you want to measure it. At low tide it was about 250 yard walk from truck to water.

How was the fishing?