eBay saltiga 15h?

Started by Steelynorm, October 18, 2023, 02:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelynorm

Looking at saltiga 15h on eBay from Japan.
Are these different then us domestic 15h?

How long can I anticipate support from daiwa on this reel?

What taxes or duties do I need to be aware of?
Any reason not to purchase these reels from Japan?

Swami805

I've bought reels on eBay from Japan, never had to pay any duty or tax, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again
Can't help you with that particular reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reeltyme

I have purchased a couple of reels from Japan, mostly Fin-Nor, and in my opinion, based on the reels I purchased, the Japanese seem to take very good care of their reels and have had no problems with shipping. No added fees either. Good luck with your purchase.

MarkT

If it's a JDM reel, it might not be supported in the US. If it's a standard 15H like you'd buy in the US, just sold in Japan, there shouldn't be a problem.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JasonGotaProblem

Ask fred about the 5 letter code.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

boon

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 19, 2023, 12:53:06 AMAsk fred about the 5 letter code.

What do you propose as an alternative high-end slowpitch reel?

EDIT, with less "Daiwa bad": There have regularly been subtle differences between "JDM" and "Export" reels from both Shimano and Daiwa. Sometimes it's major things like different gearing, sometimes it's minor cosmetic things that mean nothing in a wider sense. If you're concerned about it, it would pay to get a schematic from both Daiwa Japan and the US version and compare to see if they're the same.

Re. parts and availability, you roll the dice a little bit here. Based on this market in another part of the world, Daiwa can be a bit funny about "parallel imported" reels, with their attitude ranging from begrudgingly supporting it, to outright refusing to. You have to keep in mind that maintaining a stockpile of parts is an expense on their business, and if they sell you a part for your parallel imported reel, they might be letting down someone who actually gave them money at some unknown point down the track.

If you're prepared to buy reels direct from Japan, you should be prepared to deal direct with Japan for parts - plat is a good place to start.

sciaenops

If it's the 2015 model on eBay, it's the US (made in Korea) version. So I believe Daiwa USA should support it.

Steelynorm

Thanks will keep y'all posted

SevenYearsDown

I usually go with the ocea jiggers than those versions of the Saltiga because of the Magseal. No idea if you cN DIY repair those now.