Penn 700 "knock"

Started by circlehook, October 19, 2023, 06:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

circlehook

I recently acquired a pair of Penn greenie reels, a 700 and a 704 on "that" auction site , for about what one would pay for a single reel.

The 704 is in somewhat better a.k.a. "boring" condition apart from weak bail spring  so I decided to investigate the 700 first.
1..weak nail springs .. not too hard to fix .
2. I noticed that in addition to the sloppy gears that I have been warned to expect from these reels , I noticed a knock at certain points when cranking the reel. I stripped the gears, till I narrowed down the cause .

I'm guessing that the bail release arm under neath the cup may be hitting one of the screws - the large one , at a certain point , resulting in a periodic "knock" sound . This happens whether that bail is closed. When the bail is opened, The trip mechanism contacts the screw, trips the bail closed and the cur can then rotate but still results in a periodic "knock"

I'm not sure if I need to shim the cup up to clear the larger one  (there wasn't any washer present when I opened the reel and the schematic doesn't indicate one ). The 704 doesn't appear to have this issue

Surfrat

Hi. On the 700, the bigger screw is part# 22-700, the bail trip screw. This screw is in the wrong hole.  :o  See my good example of my own 700 that works. This could be why you have a knock because when at a certain rotation, it's getting hit.

circlehook

Solved / Progress ... in a manner of speaking .

I removed the 3 screws , cleaned / lubed and attempted to reinstall as suggested above.

Reinstalling the larger head was definitely a step in the right direction. The other (main) issue appears to be that all 3 screws are different
1 large screw
1 small screw
1 medium screw that appears to be the same as the side plate screws. This doesn't screw in all the way and was also contributing to the knock . I'm assuming I would need to discard this and find a replacement small screw

Surfrat

;D Good! It is possible the person who put the parts back together may have used the second small screw on another hole/location. :o

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Surfrat on October 19, 2023, 03:22:10 PM;D Good! It is possible the person who put the parts back together may have used the second small screw on another hole/location. :o
Agreed lol!
Just went through the same thing on my 704.
I foolishly mixed up the screws lol!
Yes, I knew better, than to do so!
But, I also figured out, that somebody used or switched, out 2 different screws!
I'll be taking a bunch of pictures from now on, just not worth the headache lol!