Cardinal 4 Drag Knob Install

Started by jgp12000, October 21, 2023, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Is there a proper way to install the drag knob for the numbers to correspond-min to max?I have always just put the knob on and screwed it down.I was thinking again...Would you slide it on tighten the drag to max pull the knob off and install in what position i.e. 6 0 clock, 12 0 clock to be accurate, or somewhat linear.Is it splitting frog hairs or does it really matter? I like to do things correctly if possible, but I have no clue on this? I also noticed some drag knobs numbers 0-7 or 0-9 ? What's the scoop Midway?

foakes

Just checked some of mine that happen to be on the bench now awaiting restoration.  Plus, there are another 2 large crates of green Cardinals back in the bat cave where I keep the ABU parts.

Yes, some go to 9.  Some to 7.  Some are black, some are white.  Some have different stryation lines.  Some have the numbers worn off.

I try to set them at "0" when reassembling.

But when fishing these (they are a pleasure to fish) —- I just go by feel and conditions —- whether it is a Cardinal, DQ, old Shakes, etc.

Obviously, there is a right way to do this —- but for those who want it "right" —- just like you said, rotate the knob to a stop position in one direction —- then install the knob appropriately.

Tom and Harry would know more about these details.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I just put them on however they're in my hand, basically because the fiber washers may be compressed and the spring washers may also be compressed some. Even if all the compressible washers are brand spanking new their compression at rest will eventually change a little, so to me it serves no purpose to try figure out an optimal starting point. When I'm done using the reel I loosen the drag so there's practically no pressure on the washers and the next time I use the reel I set it by feel. If I need to adjust it while playing a fish I do that by feel, too. To me the numbers really mean nothing.

The light green washers came with black numbers. If the numbers aren't black then they're used and the black has worn off. The black knobs have white numbers. If a black knob has gold numbers it is for the later ABU Garcia black skirted spool fulcrum drag models.

The 0-7 knobs came on the earliest Cardinal 6 & 7 reels that had the Zebco/ABU sticker on the top right corner of the side plate or the earliest ABU/Svangsta Cardinal 66 & 77 reels. All Cardinal 4s came with a 0-9 knob, as did the 3s on their smaller knob.

If a person wants to be anal about the O position of the knob it could be installed with the O at the back with the cashing turned completely loose, but it will take multiple rotations of the knob to get the appropriate tension depending on the weight of the line they're using, so it really serves no purpose unless one can remember how many times knob has gone all the way around and passed O.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000