Nov. 11th Pre-Trip Tune Up: Rock Cod

Started by Crab Pot, October 22, 2023, 04:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Went out yesterday on an Air Force charter run out of services for military folks.

Not being active duty a was on the waiting list and got the call Friday evening I was in. Talk about zero notice, but I'm always ready to go fishing so I wasn't too upset.

I drove myself and was told to be there by 05:15, boat leaves at 05:30 with our without you!

04:45 I'm in the Berkeley Marina parking lot rigging my gear and putting on the Grudens. 05:15 rolls up, whare's the bus? 05:25 nothing, I walk down the boat, New Easy Rider, and tell them they are running "late I guess". Long story short the bus driver overslept, we left the marina at 06:45.

These Air Force kids look at how I'm dressed and I'm looking at how they, for the most part, are dressed. Shorts, t-shirts, flip flops in some cases, and only a few of them had jackets, some had no food. Services didn't give them any recommendations on how to dress or what to bring, something I will take up with them tomorrow.

Soon as we clear the  Marina break wall someone busted out Bannas, I knew we were doomed...

The ride under the Gate was like being on a lake, so smooth. The ride on the Potatoe Patch was smooth-for the Potatoe Patch, but as soon as we cleared to Gate and turned north that's when the large roller swells kicked in and it was comical to see the expressions on some off their faces.

We had 15 anglers, by the time we stopped to make bait we had 8. I always bring candy ginger spice and was handing it out like candy. Ginger spice sooths the stomach but some of them were too far gone.

I even gave some gal my Grunden's because she was turning purple.

We fished Rickenbacker Reef (I think that's what it's real name is) also known as Jerassic Park.

I used a trap rig and brought my own bait, whole fish from the local Asian market approx. 6" long. Looked like a Herring with yellow in it. I wish I'd brought more.

I was bringing quality fish over the rail while the shrimp fly rigs were getting a lesser grade fish.

There were two Coast Guard guys on board and a couple hearty Air Force guys left, we filled 15 bags.

I won the big fish pool, Rock Cod & Ling Cod, which I gave to the deckhand to pay to get everyone's fish cleaned.

Pretty sure some of the Air Force guys will never set foot on a boat again and were VERY HAPPY to be back on the beach!

300+ feet deep is a lot further down than I remembered...

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

jlezama

Oh yeah, the old Jurassic park Rittenburg bank, hope it doesn't get overfished soon! Great trip overall, sea sick people give you more fishing time!

Crab Pot

Bill B

Good on ya! For filling those empty sacks.  An honest conversation needs ro happen with whoever chartered the trip.  People quickly loose interest in fishing after a miserable trip.  No excuse for the passengers being under dressed and without sea sick meds. Looks like a great quality of fish too.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crab Pot

I completely forgot to follow up on the end story of this trip.

I did have a talk with services the following Wednesday after we returned.

I asked the gal at the counter to talk to the "Charter Master" of the trip and she said to hold on while she found him. Guess who the Chater Master was? The bus driver!

He looked like he saw a ghost when he saw me, because I did all my complaining to him on the trip. I even asked him who was the Charter Master while on the boat, he replied I just volunteered to drive the bus.

What a POS.

It gets better. While on the trip we stopped to make bait, Sand Dabs.

Seeing how almost half the people on the trip were sick we didn't catch many so bait was at premium. I caught him scooping out bait and sticking it in his sack. When a few of us notice we said WTH but he had no shame and kept doing it saying they are delicious.

Being a contractor I couldn't verbally confront him. That didn't stop the Coast Guard guys though. When we ran low they dumbed his bag and took what they, and others needed.

I did ask to see his supervisor, but guess who that was.

So I sent his Commanding Offer of the Squadron an email. He said he'd look into the matter but I never heard back.

Bryan Young

Well, interesting story. I hope things will change for future trips. No excuses for being late and for not hosting as the charter master. Shame Shame Shame
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Yup. Agree with Bill and Brian. Maybe he was a reluctant Charter Master. Or just an unethical so and so. Those Sand Dabs are worth catching a bunch and keeping a few as table fare.
Sounds like you were the "Man" on the boat Crab Pot, the go to guy.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crab Pot

The Coast'tes  were "the man". I just used big words to let him know he was A-Hole.  :d

If he was a reluctant charter master he knew what he was doing, fishing wise, so I'm leaning towards he's just a piece of work.

They have a crab & cod combo scheduled for Dec 9th which I'm on the standby list for.

We'll see if he and I are on it.

Gfish

Uhhh—-oooh, high-noon on the Easy Rider? Ha!
What works ON me when I'm messing-up, is someone who is willing to explain things to me. I've been on 3 long-range commercial fishing trips and the level of animosity amongst the crew members was never-ending. It's too easy to spread ill-will, and perhaps too hard to solve the problem for most...

Great pictures, BTW!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!