Shimano 600 H electric reel spool won't turn

Started by retiredandfishing, October 24, 2023, 08:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

I have a Shimano 600 H electric in the shop. Powers up, display comes on but when you try and get the reel to run under power it won't.  Have not been into it yet.  Wondering if anyone has experience on these reels.  Thinking maybe there is an internal fuse or something that might be blown.

Thanks  Steve

boon

Starting with the simplest thing... strip some line (like 30ft or so) off it and then see if it will run. My Shimano electrics won't engage the electric motor if they think there's no line out, to stop you snapping a rod if someone bumps the controls when they're wound in. You can bypass this function in the menus on my ones.

retiredandfishing

Great point. This reel has no line on it and it is new to this owner but is used.  Wondering if he tried to operate it first thing out of the box with no line on it.  I'll have to ask him. Thanks for the tip. I'll get back to you on how that works out. 

Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: boon on October 24, 2023, 08:48:53 PMStarting with the simplest thing... strip some line (like 30ft or so) off it and then see if it will run. My Shimano electrics won't engage the electric motor if they think there's no line out, to stop you snapping a rod if someone bumps the controls when they're wound in. You can bypass this function in the menus on my ones.

Put some line on the reel but no deal, still won't actuate.  So I think I'm done with this reel. It may be an electrical problem and that's where I stop.  I don't do electrical.  Thanks for the info though.

boon

If you manually wound the line on the reel still won't think it has any on it. There is a "learning" procedure that has to be followed when spooling the reel.