do you really need a nut cover on the handle nut? will it always fall off ?

Started by pointbob, October 25, 2023, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

I put together a reel and misplaced the nut cover for the handle nut. It's a weird handle and the cheap replacement covers i get from alixprss have a non standard location for my handle (the screw hole is further up)....can i fish as is without the cover? I have to head out fishing this weekend and like to use the reel...

Patience comes to those who wait

Reeltyme

My opinion (for what it's worth), fish it. I have to believe that with all the vintage and antique reels that are still around and never had a nut lock on the handle retainer nut and STILL have their original handle and nut or screw, it isn't THAT important. Just check it periodically.

philaroman

maybe, compatible screw w/ bigger head(OD), so it fits/lines up w/ sides of nut,
but stops the points from turning (like rotor nut in some spinners)

boon

Spot of loctite?

I've had a reel where I snapped off the retaining screw in the handle (soft stainless screw into aluminum, no surprise there...) and it would slowly loosen off over time. I just carried a small adjustable spanner in my tackle box for a while  ;D

DougK

I have an older Abu 5000 that never had a lock plate.. lost the nut once in some rocks lakeside, was amazed to find it again. So I always check the nut before and after fishing.

Cor

In my experience handle nuts nearly always loosen without a locking device, initially burring the drive shaft the handle sits on and thereafter wobbling and nut and handle falling off.

Even older Penns had a screw to hold the nut in place.
Cornelis

OhReely

Blue Locktite or Locktite 222 for small fasteners on the threads.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Cor on October 27, 2023, 06:12:55 AMEven older Penns had a screw to hold the nut in place.
And many Ocean City reels incorporated a locking method.  Every Abu baitcaster I've used without a lock has eventually had issues.  It's an annoying distraction.  Search around and get a few if you can.  It's kind of like keeping spare pawls handy. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

drumbum

The early ABU's that didn't have the lock plate and screw,....had the "domed" washer,.....often missing.

Bryan Young

I have this synthetic rubber with light adhesive on one side that I punch washers out just slightly larger OD than the nut and ID the same as the handle shaft that has been very effective in keeping the nut from loosening up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pointbob

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 26, 2023, 11:36:04 PMI have this synthetic rubber with light adhesive on one side that I punch washers out just slightly larger OD than the nut and ID the same as the handle shaft that has been very effective in keeping the nut from loosening up.

"synthetic rubber with light adhesive on one side that I punch washers out just slightly larger OD than the nut and ID the same"

brilliant.
Patience comes to those who wait