Any links for cheap ceramic abu pawls? i'm getting a range online..i need a few.

Started by pointbob, October 26, 2023, 07:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

hey all

Any links for cheap ceramic abu pawls? i'm getting a price range online..i need a few. Are they all going to fit regardless of shape....I see some curvy ones from mike's reel repair...

Patience comes to those who wait

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

DougK

Mike's will certainly fit, and are ceramic.
All those cheap Asian market pawls may not be ceramic and may not fit. If you're feeling lucky, try a spin of the wheel, buy a couple packets of the cheap ones, and let us know how it works out ;-)

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on October 26, 2023, 07:14:29 PMwhats the advantage of the ceramic pawls? 

On of the advertisement indicates that it will increase casting distance. I suppose because there is less friction.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 26, 2023, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: steelfish on October 26, 2023, 07:14:29 PMwhats the advantage of the ceramic pawls? 

On of the advertisement indicates that it will increase casting distance. I suppose because there is less friction.

I read something about that few years ago but I wasnt sure, also remember reading those ceramic pawls will worn more and faster the worm gear, I dont know if its true.

The Baja Guy

tincanary

I used to use ceramic pawls but they made no noticeable difference to me.  I polish the inside of my line guide anyway and give it a shot of TSI 301 and that seems to mitigate friction well enough.

Shellbelly

I'm not convinced there are long-term advantages to ceramic pawls.  Short term, yes or maybe.  The wear factors of levelwind assemblies are what they are.  Until these mechanisms are sealed, they will be vulnerable.

It won't be long before somebody starts playing with super magnets to push/pull a line carriage along a sealed tube.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

steelfish

Quote from: tincanary on October 29, 2023, 01:03:11 PMI used to use ceramic pawls but they made no noticeable difference to me.  I polish the inside of my line guide anyway and give it a shot of TSI 301 and that seems to mitigate friction well enough.

what part did you exactly polished?
The Baja Guy

tincanary

Quote from: steelfish on October 31, 2023, 07:01:48 PM
Quote from: tincanary on October 29, 2023, 01:03:11 PMI used to use ceramic pawls but they made no noticeable difference to me.  I polish the inside of my line guide anyway and give it a shot of TSI 301 and that seems to mitigate friction well enough.

what part did you exactly polished?

I run some Simichrome on a cylindrical buffing pad and polish the area where the pawl resides plus the area that makes contact with the worm guard, then clean the residue with a Q-tip and alcohol.  Afterwards I shoot the pawl and insides of the line guide with a shot of TSI 301.  Here's my own 4500C, this is just a two bearing reel that's nearly stock down to the spool bearings.  The only upgrade is the carbon drag.

steelfish

The Baja Guy