Penn 700 vs 704

Started by circlehook, October 27, 2023, 01:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

circlehook

Quote from: OhReely on October 27, 2023, 08:11:41 PMThe slop in these reels is probably to be expected due to the design and their age. They may have been designed with loose tolerances so they could be packed with grease and still, function. I only have experience with my own reel, it's kinda loose but nothing I'm concerned about because it's so smooth. There are a lot of areas that can contribute - gear lash, main gear bushing, pinion bushing, crosswind arm, crosswind arm roller, crosswind arm to spool shaft connection, spool shaft to pinion gear fit, pinion gear to pinion bearing fit,  pinion bearing to body fit. I think you'll find each and every area to be a little loosey-goosey. If you hold the rotor, rock the handle back and forth, the crosswind arm rises up off the main gear on the backstroke.  At least mine does. I think as long as nothing is worn badly enough in mine to cause binding under load it's good to go.
Thanks . That's pretty much how both of mine feel. I'm assuming even new gear sets won't make much of a difference in this regard ie. the loose tolerances are semi-intentional

oldmanjoe

:)   I would have a good look at # 2 bushing and possibly make a shim if needed .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

OhReely

There's no surf here that mine will get dunked in so I'm not worried about water intrusion. If it does happen it's simple enough to open and clean. If on the other hand I do fish heavy surf I would just pack the gearbox with grease as I heard the old timers talk about. That would probably tighten things up a bit. Right?

circlehook

I'm trying to track down a handle washer (17-700). No longer available at some of the parts stores. Is there a substitute I could pick up, or something I could search for locally .. at a hardware store ?

OhReely

If no one here has it

Mystic Reel Parts
Berinson
Ebay

I would think you can use more than one washer if you find one in SS, copper, brass with the right inner and outer dimensions. Stack 'em, it's only a spacer.

Midway Tommy

There's a seller on eBay right now that has 8 @ $5 each. I made one out of a SS washer but it takes a lot of filing and tweeking to get it to work properly and not bind.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

circlehook

Thanks , mystic is out of stock . I'll check the other sources and pony up for the eBay part if necessary .

foakes

Quote from: circlehook on October 28, 2023, 01:19:13 PMI'm trying to track down a handle washer (17-700). No longer available at some of the parts stores. Is there a substitute I could pick up, or something I could search for locally .. at a hardware store ?

If you still need one of these 17-700 SS washers —-

PM me your complete mailing information —- and I'll drop one in the mail.

N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: foakes on October 28, 2023, 07:49:09 PM
Quote from: circlehook on October 28, 2023, 01:19:13 PMI'm trying to track down a handle washer (17-700). No longer available at some of the parts stores. Is there a substitute I could pick up, or something I could search for locally .. at a hardware store ?

N/C.

Best, Fred
Where does that washer go Fred?
Or is that only specific to the 700 model?
Only found one washer when I took apart my 704?  That's the one, that goes on top of the rotor. This might explain why there's so much play in my reel, or maybe I'm wrong?

foakes

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on October 28, 2023, 08:16:50 PM

N/C.

Best, Fred
Only found one washer when I took apart my 704?  That's the one, that goes on top of the rotor. This might explain why there's so much play in my reel, or maybe I'm wrong?

It is a handle spacer washer that allows the crank to turn freely.

Rotor washers are different.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: foakes on October 28, 2023, 08:38:27 PM

N/C.

Best, Fred

Best, Fred

I understand, the rotor washer is different!
I just went and checked the schematic, which I didn't do before!  Seems, the 704/Z's do have a handle spacer/washer! Did not know this, I was just asking in my thread about shimming mine!
My shims, are just not thick enough, where I just tried adding them, inside the handle!
This would explain, why there is/was extra play in my handle, and why the reel is sloppy and binds up against the handle housing sometimes!
Always learn something new/good here, just about every day lol!

foakes

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on October 28, 2023, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: foakes on October 28, 2023, 08:38:27 PM

N/C.

Best, Fred

Best, Fred

I understand, the rotor washer is different!
I just went and checked the schematic, which I didn't do before!  Seems, the 704/Z's do have a handle spacer/washer! Did not know this, I was just asking in my thread about shimming mine!
My shims, are just not thick enough, where I just tried adding them, inside the handle!
This would explain, why there is/was extra play in my handle, and why the reel is sloppy and binds up against the handle housing sometimes!
Always learn something new/good here, just about every day lol!

If you need a couple just let me know.  Glad to help.

Haven't heard back from CH yet —- so he probably already has what he needs.

I don't want to be in competition with those making a living selling parts who are valued members of our site —- like Mystic, Penn, or others.

However, I am fortunate enough to have lots of parts for Penn, Mitchell, ABU, & DAM Quick —- which have been discontinued many years ago by the manufacturers —- or they are no longer under the same business model.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

One, would be just great! Thank you kindly, sir!
I'm just happy to figure out, that I was missing an important part, that's going to help with some of the gear play!
Was quite disappointed, after I got it all cleaned up, working good and then, have all that extra gear lash!
I had a feeling something was missing, that's why I was asking in my other thread!
I did grab some very thin shims from some other junk, spinning reels out of bags lol!
But they just aren't thick enough!
Their the tensioning shims/washers that are slightly curved to exert light pressure!

foakes

One on the way, Sir!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: foakes on October 28, 2023, 10:27:50 PMOne on the way, Sir!

Best, Fred

Thanks again Fred, just add it to my total lol!
Maybe I will, get to land a beast of a striper on this reel, this season lol!