Penn 700 vs 704

Started by circlehook, October 27, 2023, 01:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on October 28, 2023, 11:07:32 PM
Quote from: foakes on October 28, 2023, 10:27:50 PMOne on the way, Sir!

Best, Fred

Thanks again Fred, just add it to my total lol!
Maybe I will, get to land a beast of a striper on this reel, this season lol!

Nah, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

circlehook

foakes

Already packed and sealed —-

2 Teflon washers, 1 tune up kit, 1 bearing, I handle spacer.

Will ship tomorrow.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Surfrat

Most of us penn 700 or 704(z) owners cut the bail wire close to the roller and smooth the end with sandpaper/file. Don't take your wife's emery file.  :o This modification will save many lures. ;D  One thing is learn how to pick up the line after your cast and tape your index finger.
 :-[

circlehook

Having received  Fred's goodies yesterday morning , I installed the new bearing (added a few drops of oil) and handle washer on the 700.. and made sure to re lube / re grease when during re assembly

A bit better but still not as buttery smooth as the 704 .

Interesting fact, I also received a 710 greenie that I had won on "the" auction site  on a while back.  I cleaned it up and it took performs like the 700 ie. smooth but not whisper quiet / buttery smooth like my 704 .

I checked for main gear / pinion tolerance on all 3 reels  by holding the rotor stationary and trying to move the handle back and forth . They're all about the same ( the 700 might even be the best in that regard !)

More curious than anything , what would cause 1 of these reels to operate better than the others ? They're all good but 1 is better .

I uninstalled  the cross wind on the 712 as an experiment and it didn't make a.diffrence.

So my naive assumption is that it must be something in the crank / handle shaft  or bearing . Do I have to pack these with grease ?

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: circlehook on November 05, 2023, 02:15:58 PMHaving received  Fred's goodies yesterday morning .Installed a new bearing (added a few drops of oil) and handle washer on the 700.. and made sure to re lube / re grease when re assemble

Interesting fact, I also received a 710 greenie that I had won on "the" auction site  on a while back.  I cleaned it up and it took performs like the 700 ie. smooth but not whisper quiet / buttery smooth like my 704 .

I checked for main gear / pinion tolerance on all 3 reels  by holding the rotor stationary and trying to move the handle back and forth . They're all about the same ( the 700 might even be the best in that regard !)

More curious than anything , what would cause 1 of these reels to operate better than the others ? They're all good but 1 is better .

I uninstalled  the cross wind on the 712 as an experiment and it didn't make a.diffrence.

So my naive assumption is that it must be something in the crank / handle shaft  or bearing . Do I have to pack these with grease ?
Well, after I completely cleaned and regreased my 704! It felt different and now was super tight, could barely crank it in the cold weather!
So I opened it back up, took all the grease out that I could, and cut/mixed it, with penn precision reel oil! Completely smoothed things right out and back to feeling great again!

foakes

Quote from: circlehook on November 05, 2023, 02:15:58 PMHaving received  Fred's goodies yesterday morning .Installed a new bearing (added a few drops of oil) and handle washer on the 700.. and made sure to re lube / re grease when re assemble

Without it on my bench —- it is just 20 questions without a lot of accurate solutions.

Any place there is friction is a possibility.

My method on all spinners involves a full and complete disassemble —- ultrasonic cleaning of all parts —- inspection for any wear spots —- replacement of any questionable parts with new —- burnishing and polishing of all parts inside and outside —- reassembly —- test —- adjust and fine tune —- check all functions to operate as new.

Yes, providing you have cleaned it fully —- it could be the crank axle.  The remedy would commonly be to burnish the axle with a fine wire wheel —- rinse, dry, and lubricate with synthetic oil.

Another common issue is the oilite brass bushing either need burnishing on the INSIDES with "0000" steel wool at high speed —- or to replace the bushing also.  This is common when spinners have been used hard and not lubricated on a regular basis.  Particularly salt spinners.  But even a brand new bushing will need burnishing because of a built up "storage tarnish" —- then some oil.

The reel should be smooth and freely operational.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

circlehook

Fred
I think you're right. The insides of some of the bushings might benefit from polishing / burnishing. I'll work on that when I get the itch to tinker .

Thanks for everything