The 2012 Fred Hall Show

Started by alantani, March 08, 2012, 08:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

The 2012 Fred Hall Show

7 am on wednesday.  some of you might remember roger.  he was my driver for our long range trip on the intrepid last year.  well, our young fire figher just got married, and he bought his drop dead gorgeous wife a new car.  yup, it's a prius.  i swore i'd never get caught dead in one of those.  hey, i know how dangerous they are to drive.  i'm constantly having to pick them out of the grill of my ford excursion.  anyway, roger provided the car and drove.  i slept and paid for gas.  what a deal!  

five and a half hours later, we're bombing through downtown los angeles.  roger missed the 405 cutoff, so we get stuck in a little traffic.  for those you that have never been to southern california, rush hour in los angeles is 8 hours long.  it starts at 1pm and ends at 9pm!

walking into the show, these were the first guys we saw.  manzanar was one of the relocation camps that the japanese were sent to during world war II.  my mother was among them, but she was only 5 years old at the time.  

i've been a subscriber to western outdoor news for a very long time.  

meet bill tanaka and tom schlauch of big 5.  they have some great deals.  a favorite reel of mine is the tyrnos 8 two speed.  think of it as a makaira 8 that will deliver half the drag, figure 14 pounds of drag for the tyros instead of 27 pound in the makaira.  they have the tyrnos on sale for $150.  

down the aisle from big 5 are all of the california fresh water resorts.  

mixed in are all of the other resorts from alaska to south of the border.  

i stayed at frontier charters in sitka, alaska, quite a few years ago.  meet marc, michelle and justin.  their lodge has 8 rooms, housing 16 guests and they run four boats that fish in sitka sound.  very nice operation.  

this is something on my bucket list.  it's peacock bass fishing on the amazon river.  

ah, turners.  lots of stuff on sale.  

back to the destination resorts!

took a quick look at the defiance because they had it set up with disco lights.  

meet jim sammons!  he's a TV show host, he runs trips out of san diego year round and he has a trip out of rancho leonero on baja california every july.  at the fred hall show, he's doing daily seminars on kayak fishing around the world.  his most memorable trip was on the east coast of costa rica, catching 10 tarpon in one day.  he was asking me what i thought about okuma because he just signed on with them.  

down the aisle from jim are jackie and richard yamada of alaska reel adventures.  they're located juneau and they are the hawaii connection in alaska.  they run 2 lodges with 16 guests per lodge.  this is their 30th year in business.  they do the usual salmon, halibut and rockfish, but they also fish for black cod (also known as sable or butterfish) in water down to 2000 feet.  the black cod is a favorite for their hawiian and japanese customers.  it's also the only resort that serves rice with every meal!

they've got guns this year!  i had fun here because i just build my first AR!

for those of you that watch NCIS, you know that gibb's rule number nine is "never go anywhere without a knife."  i've carried this little kershaw for the last 10 years and i never have been able to put a decent edge on it.  well, 5 minutes in the hands of an expert, and it's so sharp it's spooky!

the little firing range was a blast.  

a bunch of guys here in northern california will be fishing with baja pirates again this year.  

meet glen kaisaki.  he does all the reel repair for alaska action anglers out of anchor point, so we had a great chat!

another destination on my bucket list.  

here is steve's baja fish gear.  

caught roger and mark goofing off!

check out basil pappas at eric's tackle.  i missed him today so i'll have to catch him tomorrow.  

poor roger.  he's just fallen in love with phenix rods.  

for my long range trip this year, i am back on the spirit of adventure with mike keating.  the spirit is only an 88 foot boat, but the skipper and crew are great.  if there are fish out there, mike will find them!

so, a couple of years ago i had this brilliant idea!  why not set up a rod but that will give you a constant read out of your drag pressure. that will take all the guess work out of it.  well, aftco has one, $250 retail!

another great publication.  

BLOODY DECKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone were to ask me to recommend a shop for reel repair and rigging, these guys would be at the top of the list!  this is ken's custom reel in oceanside, california.

ken was showing me the new shifter button from cal sheets.  

i don't know who this guy is, but he does some really nice work!

senor tuna - probably the "nicest" fishing website on the internet.

the unibutter guys have some great products.  

frank murata of daiwa!

michelle of blackwater international.

i stopped off at the accurate booth.  they have prototype of the bx2 dawg but asked that i not take a photo of the internals just yet.  suffice it to say that it is a sequential TRIPLE dog system.  each of the three dogs fall in sequence, not all at once, so that only one dog is holding while the other two are in reserve.  

lots of guys ask about the smart shift reels.  mind you, i have never caught a wahoo, but for guys that are luckier than i am, it allows you go drop into low gear without having to stop to shift.  lots of wahoo will spit out a hook at that critical moment.  yup, nice reel!

meet THE Dan Hernandez!

angler's choice!

finnor has some pretty good deals on their fishing reels.  

the ever elusive, mysterious, out of focus cal and eric sheets.

my favorite fishing hottie, wendy!  years ago i was joking around with her and said, "so you fish, you're gorgeous, and you're japanese!  where were you when i was looking for a wife?"  and she was gracious enough to not say "junior high school ....".

intrepid!  

captain bruce smith!

the world famous mr. dennis braid!

qualia!  i've had a couple of conversations with these guys. i screwed up this time.  i came by to say hello and wanted to get back to talk more indepth about their reels, but got side tracked and never did.  i'll have to talk to them sometime later in the year.  

these are my local electronics guys.  they installed all of my electronics, including the flir camera.  

southern california guys know this place, as well!

phenix!!!!!  this is the black diamond hybrid 700 X4H.  it's rated 80-200.  yup, i'm thinking about a cow trip!  it's supposed to be midway in lifting power between the seeker 2x4 and 3x5.

calstar!  i own 30-40 of their rods.  i love the old school fiberglass rods.

seeker!  i've been looking at the 2x4's and 3x5's as well.  

ol' roger has a one track mind.  back to kayaks.  he has this same model with the foot pedals.   the kayak you see here has an electric motor,  that's more my speed.

now for the best part of the evening.  roger found us a sushi bar called the octopus.  i had a beer, 3 sake's and we stuffed ourselves with sushi, and the bill with tip came out to only $65.  killer deal.

throw in a couple of scotches for a night cap and it all adds up to one hellava headache in the morning!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

mexico and alaska seem well represented,where are the usa operators?

Bryan Young

I see you got a picture of Wendy again   ;D but this time, you weren't in the picture ???

I really gotta go to one of those with $$$ in my pocket.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rare

The best next thing since we can't be there.....What is avet coming out with?!?!?!? More pics of the dawg.... ;D

Bryan Young

so, the real question...what did you and Roger buy?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 08, 2012, 11:33:59 PM
I see you got a picture of Wendy again   ;D but this time, you weren't in the picture ???

I really gotta go to one of those with $$$ in my pocket.

Who's Wendy?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Wendy Tochihara is a pro-staffer for Izorline.  I'm not sure if she is still a prostaffer for Big Hammer.  I though she may have moved to Warbaits.  Very nice, pretty lady that knows what she is doing and catches tons of fish.

She is also one that taught me how to spice solid spectra to hollow, quick top-shots without serving, and a few other line tricks for the poor or cheap fisherman, which I was both until I met Alan and realized and saw the light of using good line every time, even if it means that you fish with new line (mono) at every fishing outing.  Correction, I'm still poor.

Nessie Hunter

Great pics Alan, thanks...
Saw some faces in the background & missed some that I know were there?
That guy Alan was in quite a few also!!!   lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

day two!

into the belly of the beast!  for all grousing i do about shimano reels, the fact remains that their line of reels is the most sophisticated.  for better or worse, their reels have up to 50% more parts than their competitors.  ALOT of time and ALOT of money goes into designing a shimano reel.  it also means that it can be difficult to change.  regardless, they, and daiwa, share the top spots in the industry.  meet eval salvay and pat schlauch.  yes, pat is tom's son.  

most of their smaller baitcasters have composite.  the core is the first to feature greased carbon fiber.  they call this drag material dartanium II.  the sustains are also riggted with carbon fiber. it is nice to see!

now, out of the frying pan and into the fire.  avet continues to run dry drags.  they are the only company.   but they're the business to sell fishing reels, and their fishing reels are selling.  

new from avet is a three speed reel.  it's the same size as the larger reel you see in blue.  unfortunately, a prototype was not available for us to look at.

meet rick ozaki.  i'll be picking up one of his line winders pretty soon.

meet bob hoose!  

and the unflappable steve carson.  

meet john bretza of okuma, with the new makaira SE.  it's the only reel that i would fish, straight out of the box, with absolute confidence.  an oversized offset handle grip, a clicking preset knob, a clicking lever, a coat of lube on all the non-exposed metal surfaces, greased carbon fiber drags washers, non-spool bearings packed with grease, and spool bearings lubed with TSI 301.  

was finally able to swing back around and see steve carson!

and get a decent shot of cal.

i do alot of rock cod fishing.  i bought a couple of them to try out this season.

and lastly, i got a chance to meet basil pappas.  even bought one of the big wind on leader jigs.  

at the end of the evening, we had a quick dinner with john bretza and hit the road.  it was quite a trip.  what really made it fun was getting to meet basil pappas and dennis braid.  gotta give a big thanks to roger for getting me there and back safely.  it was ALOT of driving.  

Irish Jigger

Thank's Alan,enjoyed the show. Great Pics.  ;D

spottybastard

Alan, if you are there Saturday and I bump into I'll gladly buy you a beer. ;D 

Your tutotrals on this site have saved me a ton of cash!

wallacewt

nice pics,whata candy store!

Bryan Young

Is that Basil?

Man, he's a young guy.  I thought he was an old salty (no offense to some of you guys here).  He makes some of the best top shots out there.

Norcal Pescador

Quotefor those you that have never been to southern california, rush hour in los angeles is 8 hours long.  it starts at 1pm and ends at 9pm!

When I have to go through L.A. it seems like the rush hour is 5AM to 11PM. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

funny, because i thought exactly the same thing, too.  he's 57, just a year older than me.