Daiwa ss4000

Started by Kolbein, October 28, 2023, 09:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbein

Hope I'm not boring you guys with my enthusiasm with my amature restoring reels🙂

I got one more of my late dads old reels.  A Daiwa ss4000, i'm guessing late 70's early 80's. Some corrotion on the outside,  but potensial to be clean again. Opened it todsy, and I think it looks great, was planing a total tear down, but think I wil just clean and regrease in place.

Looking forward to reasamble it🙂🙂
Norwegian Noob

nelz

Not boring at all, glad to see one mentioned for a change. I've been on the lookout at flea's and yard sales for one of those. Very high quality line, and ya gotta love the hieroglyphics too.. :d

Brewcrafter

Please keep you enthusiasm coming!  And please don't feel like every reel job needs to be a museum class restoration.  There are TREMENDOUSLY skilled members on this forum that do incredible things, and when we are fortunate enough that they share their wisdom we all learn; but that is not to say that taking a reel, making it "right", and using it is any less important (maybe more so!).  A lot of what is done and what we do not see here is the pros, maintaining and fixing reels for charters/head boats/etc.  Keeping a reel going so that you can use it especially a piece with provenance like this one to where you can continue to use it and build memories is key to this group, so don't ever feel like a simple "regrease and reassemble" is selling anything short. - john

Midway Tommy

You guessed pretty darn close, 1977. A lot of people like that SS (Super Sport) series.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Kolbein

Thanks for the feedback guys:) Much apriciated :) Almost finished with it, just the the bailspring and bail left.. Me thinks it wil turn out quite nice :)

@Midway Tommy Do you know, how many years it was in production?

Kolbein
Norwegian Noob

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Kolbein on October 30, 2023, 09:59:10 AM@Midway Tommy Do you know, how many years it was in production?

Kolbein

No, I sure don't, sorry. Maybe Fred or some other Daiwa aficionado will have some sort of idea.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Kolbein

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 30, 2023, 04:43:56 PM
Quote from: Kolbein on October 30, 2023, 09:59:10 AM@Midway Tommy Do you know, how many years it was in production?

Kolbein

No, I sure don't, sorry. Maybe Fred or some other Daiwa aficionado will have some sort of idea.

Thanks. Not very important, just fun to know the timeframe.

I almost finished it, just need to rinse a screw and a spring of rust.  But i put it together,  and I do feel i did it justice.  Now to get some line on it and fish it 😊😊😊

Norwegian Noob

Kolbein

Took it out for some fishing today.. and I got a catch on it, threw it back though.. but it was fun finaly to use it 😇😇
Norwegian Noob

JasonGotaProblem

Great! What kind of fish is that? I assume the fishery of coastal Norway is about as different as it gets from coastal Florida.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Kolbein

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 29, 2023, 06:24:20 PMGreat! What kind of fish is that? I assume the fishery of coastal Norway is about as different as it gets from coastal Florida.

It's a "baby" cod 🙂

Also caught a slightly lager haddoc,  but that was not on an old reel..

Cold but nice today 🙂🙂
Norwegian Noob

steelfish

nice fish and pretty cool to use one of your Dad's reels
The Baja Guy

Kolbein

Still works like a charm 😇😇😇
Norwegian Noob

Brewcrafter

Donnyboat

Kolbien, thanks for your post, and the pictures of the real & fish, what springs to my mind, after ready your comments, is if you have gone to the trouble to open a reel, do the hole hog, strip it down completely, once you get right down into it, place some of the old grease, between your thum and index finger, just give it a rub, you will feel the fine sea sand, impregnated into it, it sure is nice to service a reel, then catch nice fish with it, there is never a boring question, to me & I am sure most of the members on this forum, think the same way, thanks for being with us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Kolbein

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 01, 2024, 12:02:03 AMKolbien, thanks for your post, and the pictures of the real & fish, what springs to my mind, after ready your comments, is if you have gone to the trouble to open a reel, do the hole hog, strip it down completely, once you get right down into it, place some of the old grease, between your thum and index finger, just give it a rub, you will feel the fine sea sand, impregnated into it, it sure is nice to service a reel, then catch nice fish with it, there is never a boring question, to me & I am sure most of the members on this forum, think the same way, thanks for being with us, cheers Don.

Thanks Don 🙂🙂🙂
Norwegian Noob