Staro reel 4758. Repair help and manual

Started by Fishgolfman, November 05, 2023, 02:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Got one to play with several extra spools.The reel was in great reeling shape after through degreasing with intermittent bail catch. Turns out the catch had dirt build up. Upon taking apart got a "hot mess". No idea how to load spring on catch. Help with pictures if possible!!! Also how does reel work in regards to drag and slide button below rotor???

Midway Tommy

You have a uniquely designed spinning reel there. I'll fill you in on it later when I have more time, but for now the black plastic ring is the drag adjustment. There is an arrow on it and it should be set somewhere around 2-4, depending on the line weight you are using. The higher the number is set the higher the drag. The spool is fixed and will not rotate, the rotor is what rotates when line is payed out via the drag. That is supposed to reduce line twist, as the ine will go out the same way it was wound on. The button on the back side of the rotor is for removal of the rotor. There were two rotors and two spools that a person could get, one set was larger and the other set smaller, that could be used depending on whether one wanted to fish fresh or salt water. Remove the spool and push the button sideways and then turn the rotor to remove it. The metal block on the side of the spool is what trips the bail. The spring is an easy fix and I'll instruct on that later.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Midway Tommy

BTW, Staro is not a Thommen reel. They are totally different manufacturers and distributors. Staro was distributed by Specialty Importers, not Thommen.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Thanks for information on Staro. Await instructions.

Midway Tommy

The easiest way to work on installing the spring is to remove the rotor from the body. The end of the spring with the bend goes on the bottom. The end with the straight leg goes on top. Be careful when working around the stud that the spring fits over. It is not pressed in, it just sits in the hole and will fall out if you turn the rotor upside down.

I used your photo (below) to show where the ends of the spring need to be located for the bail trip to work correctly. Once you have the spring seated correctly on the stud use the lever to to hold the spring in place while you install the top plate and screws. The post on the lever should be holding the bottom spring leg back while you add the top plate. You have to hold the lever and spring in place with one hand while you screw down the top plate with your other hand. It's a tedious and frustrating ordeal and can take some time before you get it installed just right.

On another note, the Staro came out in the early 1950s and was the first spinning reel to have an automatic/infinite anti-reverse. They are not selectable, though, the A/R works all the time and cannot be disengaged.

There are two oil ports, one on the side of the body behind the rotor and one on the back of the body handle stem. Also, in addition to some of the attributes I mentioned earlier, if you look at the bottom of the spool it has three images that show how to adjust line lay on the spool. The one that shows straight up and down is optimum. If line lays slanted, closer to the top or bottom spool lip, as seen in the other two images you move the pin out of the groove and with a screwdriver or something similar in the slot turn the spool seat in the direction to adjust the line lay. It's actually a pretty neat feature. The handle turns in reverse and unscrews part way to lay the crank handle down. The threaded bushing is retained with a set screw so it, nor the handle, will fall off.     

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Thanks. My next weekend project. Working on the Record reels now.

Fishgolfman

You were right on the tedious holding spring lever and screwing the plate. I wonder what type of Swiss engineer came up with this idea!!! Probably an elf!! Also realized why it was not tripping and why I embarked on making a mess. See picture of completed Staro and spools. The no metal side spool was on the reel when i was trying to figure it out.

Midway Tommy

Glad you got it back together & working, Stephen!  8)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Manual and model information

Fishgolfman

Manual and reel models part 2

Midway Tommy

Lucky you! That booklet is a Godsend, I've got one, too. Not sure how anyone can use the reel like it's intended without one. Lots of good info in it!

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Midway Tommy

Looks like the P-1 with the smaller rotor to me. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

My model is D1- detachable rotor. P1 is not . Love this reel concept of removable rotor. On Lookout now for a D2. Two rotors two different spools. Small vs large