SX drag issue

Started by SoCal Redneck, March 09, 2012, 02:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Redneck

Hi Alan, got a issue that maybe you or any other avet expert may be able to help me with.
Just got a used sx single speed reel.  First thing I was doing was testing the drag.  At strike it was set at 4lbs...ok so far.  then I attempted to move to full...it was hard to move followed by a "tink" then nothing.  *%#@~!  moved drag lever back to free then back up...now it doesn't turn the spool until it gets between where the strike detent should have been and full.  I can still feel the dentent where free and bait settings are but nothing past that.  These reels are new to me and I didn't see any previous posts with this issue.  Any ideas?    I was going to pull it apart and give it the AT service anyway...I guess now I have a good excuse to open her up.

thanks

SoCal Redneck

After pulling the reel apart it revealed a few things.  First - the spool bearing was stuck on the shaft right up against the bellville washers.  2nd, the schematic calls for 6 bellville washers and there are only 4 in this reel.  So freeing up the bearing fixed the drag issue, except now i am only getting about 6lbs at strike and about 16 at full(huge difference). 

Do SX reels normally contain 4 bellville washers or 6? ???  If previous user cranked down the drag, is this a problem that can be remedied by new washers?

alantani

every sx that i've ever opened has had 4 bellevilles.  are the bellevilles in a "()()" or a "(())" configuration?  not sure what locked up on you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCal Redneck

The washers were in (()) configuration.  I changed them to ()() and now get about 3-3.5 lbs between the strike and full setting.  I think there was a small bit of corrosion on the inner part of the bearing that froze it to the shaft.  a little 000 steel wool and G96, all seems good.  I've tested the avet reels I have now and it seems I get about 3.5 lbs of drag (between strike and full)for sx and mx size reels and about 6.5 lbs of drag with my JX and LX reels.  I was thinking of replacing the bellvilles in the MX and SX if that will help increase to about 5lbs of difference.  I figure 3 lbs is not a big difference, but maybe it is. ???  Seeing how I've never checked drags with a scale before.  I've always just pulled line by hand to what I thought was good.  I've probably been setting drags on the light side up until now.

wondering if anybody has had issue with running these reels close to the manufacturers spects ie. 9lbs at strike.  I was thinking keeping it around 7 just so I don't have to figure out how to get AVET to answer there phone and send me some bearings.

Rare

Quote from: SoCal Redneck on March 23, 2012, 01:32:18 AM
I was thinking keeping it around 7 just so I don't have to figure out how to get AVET to answer there phone and send me some bearings.

They won't do it like that! http://www.avetreels.net/PARTS.php Fill that out, next day they will call you and ask for the CC info. I have placed 3 orders with them in the last 3 weeks and they all came in.

alantani

maybe the threads of the preset knob slipped.  that has happened before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!