black drum

Started by Shellbelly, November 08, 2023, 04:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

We went out on Monday and fishing was slow.  Shortly after setting up, this drum hit, and then a red and finally a black tip.  After that, nothing for the rest of the day.  The red was outside the slot at 36" and the shark just wasn't big enough for me so they went back.  I kept the 27" drum in hopes it wouldn't be wormy and it wasn't. :D. This size yields around 3 pounds.  A bit stronger tasting, but we like fishy fish every now and then.   

I'm still on the ropes about keeping them, but I'll try one or two per year. 

Water temps are still a bit warm for the fall patterns to stay consistent.  IMO.  And the crabs are hard on stationary bait right now.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Crow

Nice one!  I only keep, "the little ones", as when the stripes disappear, that seems about the time the worms DO appear.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Mjg378

I call that a good day. Catch a few then hang out on the beach. Those big red drum are fun to catch!  We keep the small black drum too, normally deep fry them because of the fishy fish flavor! :D  :d